TPG Community

Get online support

Internet not working,ping test is failing but TPG app shows connection is fine?can you pls explain?

SOLVED Go to solution
iikarthik
Level 2

Hi Team,

Internet not working,ping test is failing but TPG app shows connection is fine?can you pls explain?

I have check with customer care and they too advised the connection is ok and in fact they think the reason is they think my upload has been higher and by upgrading the issue will be resolved.

Not sure if this is correct but whenver it rains I face the intermittent connectivity issue and not sure how much

of correlation is there?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ahra_G

Hi @iikarthik

I've managed to run some remote tests and I don't see any line issues, however, I see connection drop outs due to over utilisation of your UL bandwidth.

Maximising the upload bandwidth configured on your plan may affect the download (Browsing experience). Simply imagine a 2 way road which can only fit a regular car. 1 lane for Download (DL) , and the other is for Upload (UL).

Normal activity will not affect the traffic on the road, but once there is a Big truck (DL or UL which consumes the entire DL/UL bandwidth configured on your plan) who occupies the 2 lanes, the cars (normal website that you've entered to a different device or same device) behind it will not be able to pass until the truck reaches its destination.

If you upload more than the plan speed, this can cause your connection to drop as NBN will start discarding information you send across the connection. This is most likely the reason why you are experiencing the drop outs or sometimes slow connection.

To rectify the issue you may need to watch out for any random programs uploading, such as iCloud drive, dropbox, bit-torrent, one drive. Any of these can cause the connection to feel slow and drop, especially on the 12Mbps plan. You can try to perform an isolation test to check if turning these cloud applications off will resolve the problem. 

I can also see that an upgrade is already in progress. This should take effect after 24-48hrs. 

Feel free to let us know should you require further assistance. 

Regards,

Ahra_G

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Ahra_G

Hi @iikarthik

I've managed to run some remote tests and I don't see any line issues, however, I see connection drop outs due to over utilisation of your UL bandwidth.

Maximising the upload bandwidth configured on your plan may affect the download (Browsing experience). Simply imagine a 2 way road which can only fit a regular car. 1 lane for Download (DL) , and the other is for Upload (UL).

Normal activity will not affect the traffic on the road, but once there is a Big truck (DL or UL which consumes the entire DL/UL bandwidth configured on your plan) who occupies the 2 lanes, the cars (normal website that you've entered to a different device or same device) behind it will not be able to pass until the truck reaches its destination.

If you upload more than the plan speed, this can cause your connection to drop as NBN will start discarding information you send across the connection. This is most likely the reason why you are experiencing the drop outs or sometimes slow connection.

To rectify the issue you may need to watch out for any random programs uploading, such as iCloud drive, dropbox, bit-torrent, one drive. Any of these can cause the connection to feel slow and drop, especially on the 12Mbps plan. You can try to perform an isolation test to check if turning these cloud applications off will resolve the problem. 

I can also see that an upgrade is already in progress. This should take effect after 24-48hrs. 

Feel free to let us know should you require further assistance. 

Regards,

Ahra_G