TPG Community

Get online support

Issue with router not producing acceptable speeds

zh
Level 2
Level 2

Hi everyone, a couple of months back I enquired about a router upgrade so I would be able to get 5Ghz WI-FI and be able to fully test out the Home Super Fast 250Mbps plan. Since receiving the router I have been more than happy with its performance of around 267 down and 19 up. However, for the past few weeks, the download speed has been knocked down to around 120-130 Mbps with the upload staying the same. I have tried numerous solutions including ones founded on the TPG website as well as this forum and have been unsuccessful in fixing the slower speeds. 

I was wondering whether there is something you can do from your end to see if it can fix these speeds.

Doing some of my own testings I have narrowed it down to the new router that I was upgraded with (TP-LINK VR-1600v V2) to be the cause of the slow speeds as testing with ethernet produces the same speeds of 267 that I originally got on WI-FI.

Please let me know if you need any more information from me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @zh,

Thanks for raising this to us, the fluctuation of the Wireless speed might be caused by Wireless Interference given the fact that the actual speed using devices connected via LAN/Ethernet cable is getting the same speed of 267Mbps. 

We did an article that you may find helpful about this please see the links below.

Let us know how it will go.

Regards, 

Hi everyone, a couple of months back I enquired about a router upgrade so I would be able to get 5Ghz WI-FI and be able to fully test out the Home Super Fast 250Mbps plan. Since receiving the router I have been more than happy with its performance of around 267 down and 19 up. However, for the past few weeks, the download speed has been knocked down to around 120-130 Mbps with the upload staying the same. I have tried numerous solutions including ones founded on the TPG website as well as this forum and have been unsuccessful in fixing the slower speeds. 

I was wondering whether there is something you can do from your end to see if it can fix these speeds.

Doing some of my own testings I have narrowed it down to the new router that I was upgraded with (TP-LINK VR-1600v V2) to be the cause of the slow speeds as testing with ethernet produces the same speeds of 267 that I originally got on WI-FI.

Please let me know if you need any more information from me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

zh
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Shane, thanks for the reply.

Like I mentioned in my original post I have already gone through the links you posted and others in an attempt to fix this issue. I don't think the issue has to do with Wireless interference as the router was able to consistently produce 267 before this issue which leads me to believe that something has changed within the router itself such as a possible firmware update or any other change for that matter. I am pretty sure I did not do any software changes only router restarts and an unplug and replug of the ethernet cable leading to the NBN box

The firmware version for my Archer VR1600 v2 is 

Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200925 Rel.13594nb 

Thanks

Shane

Thanks for the additional details, Is this issue affecting all the wireless devices connected to the Wi-Fi or only 1 specific device?

I can confirm that the modem/router has the latest firmware, try to perform a factory reset on the router and lets see how it will go.

Regards,

Hi Shane, thanks for the reply.

Like I mentioned in my original post I have already gone through the links you posted and others in an attempt to fix this issue. I don't think the issue has to do with Wireless interference as the router was able to consistently produce 267 before this issue which leads me to believe that something has changed within the router itself such as a possible firmware update or any other change for that matter. I am pretty sure I did not do any software changes only router restarts and an unplug and replug of the ethernet cable leading to the NBN box

The firmware version for my Archer VR1600 v2 is 

Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200925 Rel.13594nb 

Thanks

zh
Level 2
Level 2

I will try a factory reset when get around it. Before I do though, will the router have to do that automatic configure thing where you leave it for 30 minutes? If so, when did that when I first received the router it wasn't able to auto-configure which resulted in me manually entering some details for the VLAN ID. Will I need to do the same thing?

BasilDV

Hi @zh

In case the modem/router did not automatically reconfigure itself, you may manually configure it.

You may check the instructions here: New Connection Setup Help

BasilDV