TPG Community

Get online support

Major PING spikes throughout the day.

Millbear
Level 2

Hi there,

As of right now I'm suffering from a pretty rough patch of ping spikes. It's starting to become borderline unbearable as gaming, streaming and calling home starts to become impacted.

We only recently moved house about a month ago, only had minor issues before in the previous home which resolved themselves quickly (5 mins) but these days these high ping durations have been going on for longer and longer. This one currently is about 2 hours.

I suspected maybe it was the router, but it doesn't make sense as there are times where it works flawlessly.

I have nothing currently running on my laptop and these are the results.

I have no doubt that later on this evening it will work fine, but these problems seem to be spontanious and without warning. My hardware is not the cause, unless the router provided is kicking the bucket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please note - the images provided have the time set to the UK still. So go back 9 hours will give you the time of day this was happening. (Between 11am and 2pm)

I can safetly tell you this problem is on going as of right now. Longest it's ever been.

13 REPLIES 13
peter_k

Hi

Your Ping Plotter results are very unusual. To see such a linear rise in ping time responces, ping after ping is very strange.

If you were to restart your modem does the issue go away after it resyncs? Maybe temporarily?

Regards,

Peter

Millbear
Level 2

Afternoon Peter,

After resetting the router it changes IP and everything seems to be relatively ok apart from a few packet losses. But this solution is temporary, it will come back and everything becomes quite unstable.

I'll keep tracking this on the new IP and see how it goes this evening as well.

david64
Level 15

Hi millbear.

Where are you pinging to?

Can you do a tracert to that ip address now and do it again later on if the ping response worsens.

It will indicate where delays are occurring.

Your ping response will probably increase during the busy evening peak.

Millbear
Level 2

Hi David,

Done the tracert that you asked. Picture attached.

Seems like the drops are starting to frequent again right now too. Attached a picture of that too, did another tracert but it showed the same results. Will update again if it progresses

Millbear
Level 2

Just uploading these files, I'm going to restart my laptop again now just to be on the safe side but I'm certain it's not a hardware fault.

david64
Level 15

I see what you're doing. You're doing a ping/tracert to the external dynamic address of your router. This is 14.202.13.215. When I do that on my ethernet computer, I get 1ms response time. Is there something wrong between your computer and router?

Can you verify your computer is using the ethernet connection and not a wifi connection. Do an ipconfig command and see which interface is being used.

Millbear
Level 2
Hi David,

I'm most definitely wireless. Router is just a couple of meters away and has nothing obscuring it.

I'm trying to work out whether or not the router is faulty or not. The most I've managed to work out so far is that if my IP stays the same for long enough you get the weird ping increases as shown in the original post.

After a router reset it changes IP and functions as normal.

The odd part is that this dramatic ping increase and packet loss is inconsistent. Sometimes the situation will resolve itself without a reset after a small period of time. (5-10 mins). Othertimes it can go on for hours as demonstrated.
david64
Level 15

Hi millbear.

When you say "router reset", do you mean power off/on or factory reset?

Suggest you use ethernet cable to rule out problem with the computer's wireless adapter and router's wifi.

Use Windows task manager networking tab and performance tab to make sure nothing is going on.

Run the test to 192.168.1.1 (the local address); there might be a problem with the router's internal management.

Use the native ping command:   ping -n 1000 192.168.1.1

This uses 32 bytes of data (-l 32). Do you know the data length used by pingplotter?

What model router is it? Would you consider a firmware upgrade? Do you have any ip address reservations or port forwarding, etc settings? 

Millbear
Level 2

Hi David,

Yup - I mean turning it off and on again. Problem came around last night and it changed IP and was fine again. It is currently happening again right now.

Images attached of the current situation. I've done the tracert cmd that you requested and also put the ip into Ping plotter. As for the data length used by Pingplotter I'm afraid I don't know that, but I do have it on 1 second intervals if it helps.

The router is an ARCHERVR1600VP provided by TPG.

I have no preferences of what address I go to as long as I have a stable, strong connection.

I was considering purchasing a new router just to be on the safe side, but I want to make sure I know what the problem is first before shelling out the cash.