TPG Community

Get online support

Max speed for NBN50

t5935231
Level 2

Hi,

I subscribed to NBN50 for months and tonight a speed test indicated its max. download around 25xMbps and upload still 2xMbps. What's the reason for the speed boost without hardware upgrade? Is my existing modem ready for higher speed with firmware update for more efficient coding?

I have sent request to upgrade to NBN100 before the test. Will this stop the speed boost next day?

Thanks,
TW

6 REPLIES 6
BasilDV

Hi @t5935231 

Welcome to the Community!

We were able to locate your account using your community details and can confirm that the NBN100 upgrade has been applied.

Also, the free speed boost is already configured to your service. When you tested the internet speed, is it via WiFi or Wired connection? If you are connected via WiFi, are you using the 2.4GHz or 5GHz network?

What is the brand and model of the modem/router that you are using?

BasilDV

t5935231
Level 2

@BasilDV wrote:

Hi @t5935231 

We were able to locate your account using your community details and can confirm that the NBN100 upgrade has been applied.

Also, the free speed boost is already configured to your service. When you tested the internet speed, is it via WiFi or Wired connection? If you are connected via WiFi, are you using the 2.4GHz or 5GHz network?

BasilDV

Hi BasilDV,

Thanks for your update. I found my speed is now 100/20 and now as with the boost to my NBN50.

My speed was 250/20 before the upgrade request and now 100/20 following the NBN100 upgrade and feel a bit sad if the boost to 250/20 is only for NBN50.

I used WIFI 802.11ac via Apple Airport Extreme with a 1Gbps connection to an ASUA RT-AX58U.

The RX speed was around 600Mbps during the test which is about the same speed a few days ago when I got 250/20 over the NBN50 setup.

Anyways, Happy Easter holiday.

TW

Shane

Hi @t5935231,

I'm sorry I got a bit confuse with the details you posted. I'd like to confirm what speed are you getting at the moment? To get the actual speed please perform a speed test using a desktop/laptop connected via LAN/Ethernet cable.

Regards,

@BasilDV wrote:

Hi @t5935231 

BasilDV

Hi BasilDV,

Thanks for your update. I found my speed is now 100/20 and now as with the boost to my NBN50.

My speed was 250/20 before the upgrade request and now 100/20 following the NBN100 upgrade and feel a bit sad if the boost to 250/20 is only for NBN50.

I used WIFI 802.11ac via Apple Airport Extreme with a 1Gbps connection to an ASUA RT-AX58U.

The RX speed was around 600Mbps during the test which is about the same speed a few days ago when I got 250/20 over the NBN50 setup.

Anyways, Happy Easter holiday.

TW

t5935231
Level 2

Hi Shane,

Just be free from work.

I am using my Macbook Pro for the test over 802.11ac (5xxMbps). My router is ASUS RT-58X and have had done a test with 102Mbps download and ~19Mbps upload to Vocus. Please see attached.

Thanks,

TW

Shane

Hi @t5935231,

Thanks for the additional details. For testing purposes please run a separate speed test using desktop/laptop connected via LAN/Ethernet cable.

Note: Devices connected by Wi-Fi may experience slower speeds than those connected by Ethernet cable

It is also possible that the Wireless Speed is only getting a 100mbps due to a possible Wireless Interference. Here are some articles that you may find helpful.

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

needforsuv
Level 3

Technically the speed boost is to the 250/25 tier

which is really a sidegrade to tpg's old 100/40