TPG Community

Get online support

Microsoft Teams - Meetings Consistently Disconnecting

lgnicholson
Level 2

Hi All,

I have been with TPG for over 10 years and have been using teams successfully for at least 5 years with no issues at all.

Over the past 3 weeks or so I have had every teams meeting drop out multiple times, I can rejoin immediately but  its becoming very frustrating.

I have troubleshooted every possible scenerio in which could be affecting the connection. Checked / removed network cables, used wifi instead, restarted modem/router, changed headsets etc etc. This does not happen on any other network connection outside of my house or if I pair to my phones 4G connection, it has to be related to the line provided by TPG.

If I call support I know we will have to go through the whole process of restarting my modem/router etc and I know it won't make any difference.

Is there anyone from TPG or on this forum that can help me? Any changes made recently etc?

Thanks

Lawrence

9 REPLIES 9
BasilDV

Hi @lgnicholson

Aside from being disconnected to MS teams, did you notice if your device totally lost its internet connection?

Have you checked if the connection from other devices were disconnected as well?

Are you usually using a Wired or a WiFi connection?

BasilDV

lgnicholson
Level 2

Hi @BasilDV 

Thanks for the quick reply, no issues with any other applications or devices, the internet is not dropping out at all. I have tested using wired and wireless connections, teams issue is persistant with both.

BasilDV

Thank you @lgnicholson.

Are you using a Laptop? Have you tried using MS teams via mobile application and observe if it's going to drop as well?

As you've advised that the internet or the connection did not drop at all, then we may look at the Application itself.

Also, shoot me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number to check the account.

BasilDV

lgnicholson
Level 2

Thanks @BasilDV, I have not tested using my teams application on my phone as yet. Sounds like a good idea, I will PM you.

Coxie
Level 3

I have had intermittent internet drop outs started a couple of months ago.  NBN and Tpg have investigated and there does'nt appear to be any hardware issue.   I have started to suspect that it is generally during a long teams meeting.   Would be keen to find out the final resolution to this post.

BasilDV

Hi @Coxie

When you experience the disconnections, did you notice if the light on the modem/router has changed?

BasilDV

Coxie
Level 3

This is a recurrence of the the recent support ticket 12756828 except the speed seems stable but the drop outs have reoccurred . All the usual fault checks have been carried out. As advised I am now suspecting that Teams is the trigger. It seems the drop out only occurs when I am accessing the internet and 20-30 mins into a Teams video call. Once the drop outs start they continue at what appears to be a regular interval and last 5-30 secs. Usually the only way to stabilise it is to turn off and restart both the TPG and NBN modems. No problem with other software . No problem when streaming Foxtel; Netflix; & Prime. Problem exists on both ethernet connected computers and a WIFI laptop connection. I am keeping a Windows 10 event log of the drop outs which I can provide if required. The light sequence when the drop outs occur is as follow -
» TPG modem internet light goes off followed fairly quickly by the WAN light on the TPG modem.
» Looking at the NBN modem 3 of the 4 blue lights go off and the fourth light, Power, is only on. Then the three off lights sequentially come on.
» One all the NBN lights are on the Internet and WAN lights on the TPG modem come on and the internet is reconnected.
I have been using the free version of Teams Business (Classic) and recently got a Teams notification that the free version will no longer work after April 1st. Have upgraded to the subscription Teams Essential version.

Many thanks.

Regards

Ahra_G

I'd have to somewhat agree, @Coxie

Since Teams is widely used nowadays as most people are working from home, it may experience some lags or sometimes disconnection (I personally use it, too). 

When this happens, I check all my other apps or streaming services if it does the same; and surprisingly all are working fine. 

Nevertheless, if the drops are very evident despite the only app experiencing it, we'd be very glad to run some tests and check your connection. 

At the moment, your internet is stable for almost a day. 

-Ahra_G

Coxie
Level 3

Ahra,

Thanks for the response. The issue I have is that I have been using Teams for a few years (business use) and it is only in the last 3 months or so that this has started occurring. As I said I am not sure this is Teams as such but everything seems to be pointing to it. It is not just a disconnect but the whole internet connection crashes, even the NBN link. The drop outs are a problem because I am the only one in the meeting having the problem and as I said once it starts it is repetitive i.e. I reconnect and then it repeats again every few minutes. The only way to stabilise it is to reboot the TPG and NBN modems. It also only starts some 30-45 minutes into the meeting; and is more prevalent between 10:00am and 2:00pm. I have upgraded to the subscription version of Teams as of yesterday as it would not surprise me if this was a ploy by Microsoft to get users to migrate from the free version to the paid version. Here is a record of the drop outs for the last 6 days
20/01/2023 - 9 drop outs Several Teams meetings
21/01/2023 - 1 drop outs
22/01/2023 - 0 drop outs
23/01/2023 - 9 drop outs Several Teams meetings
24/01/2023 - 3 drop outs
25/01/2023 - 2 drop outs

I am continuing my own investigations, particularly now that I have upgraded Teams. If there is more that TPG can do it would be appreciated. I am assuming your testing checks the connection right up to the modem i.e. includes the wiring from the kerb to the modem.