TPG Community

Get online support

Missing VPN Setup on Archer VR1600v v2

SOLVED Go to solution
chelsea999
Level 3
Hi Shane,

Thanks for the reply. But this still doesn't explain why my relative's who is on TPG FTTC NBN has this very function working.

Also, I had setup 3rd party PPTP VPN behind the TPLINK VR1600 modem with PPTP passthrough and port forwarding on. But I still cannot access port 1723.

If you could shed any light on this, it would be much appreciated.
auMatt
Level 2

Im with everyone else,  up until a few days ago I was using OpenVPN to enable me to remotely work on my network.  This feature is part of the Standard VR1600 firmware.  Can you please re instate it to the way it was when I purchased my service

Thanks

Shane

Hi @auMatt,

In the best interests of our network and customer security, our vendor and security team have chosen to disable the VPN Server functionality on the TPLink VR1600

If you wish to use VPN server functionality, we recommend you install 3rd party software on your PC/server which will address your needs.

Regards,

auMatt
Level 2

No worries,  thanks for the reply.  I think I'll just take my business elsewhere to be honest. Loyal customer for over 15 years and this is how you treat them.  Its just like taking a car in for a service and they remove the back seat without telling you and saying its for passenger safety and then have the audicity to say but you can install aftermarket ones.  pfft

And while your'e at it block web access as I might download something that infects my computer

RLK
Level 3
Level 3

I do not agree that installing 3rd party VPN software on a network PC is a solution to this discussion.

TPG removed the VPN capability from the Archer VR1600 router (without any prior warning)

The idea of the Router hosting the VPN was that I could connect to the VPN, then boot my PC remotely and log in.

If the PC has to host the VPN software then it has to be left running, consuming unecessary electricity.

I don't see how there is any difference (to security) whether the VPN is hosted by the router or a computer.

Can we have the (Open) VPN capability returned ?

chelsea999
Level 3
Hi,

As I said in my previous post, if indeed you had just taken the VPN Function off from the VR1600 modem, the network access to various VPN service ports should be allowed. I have tried setting up PPTP VPN behind the modem but accessing it from the internet still doesn't work.

I am now wondering if anyone in your support staff really know what I am on about here. Please advise if the PPTP VPN incoming port 1723 is NOT blocked at TPG.

Seriously, this really is the last straw if you still want me as a loyal 20year customer
Shane

Hi @chelsea999,

If you're unable to use the incoming port 1723, we recommend to change the default ports to any port number from 30000 to 40000 and let us know how it will go.

Regards,

Hi,

As I said in my previous post, if indeed you had just taken the VPN Function off from the VR1600 modem, the network access to various VPN service ports should be allowed. I have tried setting up PPTP VPN behind the modem but accessing it from the internet still doesn't work.

I am now wondering if anyone in your support staff really know what I am on about here. Please advise if the PPTP VPN incoming port 1723 is NOT blocked at TPG.

Seriously, this really is the last straw if you still want me as a loyal 20year customer
robsands
Level 2

This is not a solution. I switched from another provider and explicitly checked this was possible before signing up. You can't remove features from our hardware, especially without notice. I've been on the road trying to access work files for the last two days with no office network access. I'll be switching to another provider tomorrow.

moorerad
Level 2

my firmware

Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190228 Rel.72265n

I have VPN

robsands
Level 2

Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200810 Rel.53181n Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v2 00000000

VPN gone

Even Backup & Restore tab is missing from Administration