TPG Community

Get online support

Modem fails to authenticate after NBN reconnects

TimEllis45
Level 2

I have been with TPG since they were Hutchinson Telecom. However for the last 6 months their technical and customer support regarding a simple issue has been abysmal. 

Since last October, anytime the NBN disconnects in my area (and they do "maintenance" several times a week!) my modem no longer automatically reconnects. The ONLY way I can restore internet is to turn the modem off and then on again.

Clearly this is NOT the service I am paying for and since October I have spent a ridiculous amount of time helping the TPG tech team try to resolve this issue.

Yesterday they told me they were unable to resolve it and I can either accept that this is the level of internet they can offer and get three months free, or I can go to another provider and they will consider giving me some compensation. (Yes, I already went through the TIO. TPG had until mid Feb to resolve this, but didn't. The TIO is so inundated they can't get back to me for another 5 weeks).

I have been sent two replacement modems and have had four in home tech support visits. Only ONE came when the internet was down... the other three found no problem as the internet was working at the time. The one who visited said it was a through put issue causing my modem not to reconnect with NBN. TPG then handballed the problem to NBN who said there was no problem at their end.

I don't understand why TPG can't fix this simple problem, but their tech support DID say they have other customers with this issue. 

Yesterday I had to restart my modem 4 times in 4 hours. I have resorted to relying on my hotspot as I derive my income from doing shows over Zoom.

TPG upgraded it's customers to superfast speeds for the next 6 months a week or so ago, which resulted in my speed going from 40 to 179, but now it ranges from 6 to 9... so there's that too...

I have an ogoing ten page log of communication to give you an idea of just how much of MY time has been wasted with TPG over this issue. An issue which, in my opinion, could be fixed by a tech visiting in person.

However, if TPG is right and the problem lies with the NBN, then if I move to another carrier nothing will change.....

I am very frustrated!

2 REPLIES 2
TimEllis45
Level 2

Just an update on speed, as it looks like it is an issue for many people in here, I turned the NBN Box off and on again as well as my Modem and my speed went from 7mbps to 245mbps.

Very odd

Shane

Hi @TimEllis45

Thanks for sending me your details.

I was able to locate the account and seen that the issue affecting is now being handled by our Complaints Resolution Team. We will chase this with them and relay the message you sent to me for additional reference on the ongoing investigation. Updates will be provided via email or phone call by one of our Complaints Resolution Case Manager, if you wish to get an update we recommend to contact them via return email.

Regards,

Just an update on speed, as it looks like it is an issue for many people in here, I turned the NBN Box off and on again as well as my Modem and my speed went from 7mbps to 245mbps.

Very odd