TPG Community

Get online support

Modem stating wan is unplugged

SOLVED Go to solution
Jessicahewitt
Level 3
Hi,

I’m still waiting for a replacement modem after 2 weeks from TPG. I bought my own modem and plugged it in and all I get is “wan cable is disconnected). Have checked the cables, tried other cables, but I believe the issue is in the phone line itself. What can I do to fix this? It’s really frustrating paying for internet I can’t use while having to use my own phone data just to access every day stuff.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jessicahewitt
Level 3
I will wait for the new modem/router, however if the same issue persists with the new modem/router, I will comment back if anyone can offer any solutions. Unfortunately I’m now almost out of phone data as I use it for my hobby business and to entertain my 4 asd kids, so might not be able to get back here until the home internet is working again.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
david64
Level 15

Hi Jessicahewitt.

What type of NBN connection do you have?

What was the original problem needing a replacement modem?

Could you post a photo showing how the cables are connected from wall socket to NBN box to wifi router.

What lights are lit on each box?

Where does the message about wan cable disconnected show up?

Jessicahewitt
Level 3
Hi,

I’m not sure what type of nbn I have. The line just plugs into the wall. Have attached a photo. I am still waiting for the replacement modem, but when I went and bought one from Officeworks, when that one is plugged in all I get is a flashing orange light. Have replaced cables with brand new.
The disconnected wan message comes up in the 192.168.0.1 when I go to configure the modem.

The original issue happened on the 1st of December. A lightning strike knocked out my power and internet and it hasn’t worked since. An NBN technician attended on the 3rd of December and deemed the line fine but the modem faulty.
david64
Level 15

If you have only one box (wifi router), you must be FTTB if in an apartment or FTTN.

In the photo, you've shown the cable in the wall socket. What port is it connected to on the router?

What model is the router you bought?

What settings did you use?

SteveK
Level 5

Take a photo of the actual modem so we can see clearly the plugs on the back and where you have pluged it into.

Also show the make and model of the modem...

@Jessicahewitt 

Jessicahewitt
Level 3
As stated, I am still waiting for a replacement modem to be posted by tpg.

The modem I have is the TP-Link Archer VR1600v which is the one deemed faulty. The spare I have is a tp link wr840n.

The wan cable is plugged into the blue socket. When I went into settings and did quick set up it comes up with the “wan cable is unplugged”.
Jessicahewitt
Level 3
I’m not home at the moment to take a photo of the back of the modem either
SteveK
Level 5

That is a Router, not a modem.... thats why it doesnt work.

Fibre-to-the-Node (FTTN) and Fibre-to-the-Building/Basement (FTTB) NBN connections will need a VDSL2-compatible modem, and its easiest to use a modem-router for this connection technology; like ADSL, FTTN and FTTB connections to the NBN access network utilise VDSL require a connection to the telephone wall socket.

@Jessicahewitt 

Jessicahewitt
Level 3
Ah, well, then I’m screwed until tpg send me the replacement I guess. Fingers crossed it works and I don’t have the same issue again.
SteveK
Level 5

@Jessicahewitt wrote:
I’m screwed until tpg send me the replacement.

Sure are.

I'd be sending a PM to a Mod here requesting to check on this mystery modem.

I've had two modems sent to me in the past 6 months (NBN & FTTB) and both were sent via StarTrack and were received in 48hrs..... you say over 2 weeks?????  Something not right.

@Shane