TPG Community

Get online support

NBN 50 FTTN Speed too slow

gpang5
Level 2

Hello. We have been connected to NBN50 FTTN for a couple of weeks now and have found the download and upload speeds to be not what we expected. The best we are receiving is 27 download and 9.5 upload at 6am or 26 down and 9 up during peak times. We have used the TPG trouble shooting steps and changed modems from the supplied tp-link VR1600V to a new tp-link VR600V to cross test equipment and find an insignificant speed difference between the 2 devices. Both modems have been tested with ethernet cable attached and via wireless connection and again, the speed test result difference between all methods is insiginificant. Both modems have been disconnected, left for 5 minutes and then reconnected as part of the troubleshooting. When I look at the Advanced page after logging in to the modem we see a connection speed just under 30mbs.

Can you please advise what our next steps are to try and achieve speeds close to what we are paying for. Regards Greg 

4 REPLIES 4
BasilDV

Hi @gpang5 

Welcome to TPG Community!

We were able to locate your account using your community details and tested the line.

It appears that you are about 1.2 Km away from the nearest node in your area, which may have affected the speed that your modem can get from the NBN server. However, we'd like to check on this further.

We've arranged a call from our Tech team tomorrow between 9AM - 11AM using the number that we have on file for real time testing.

In case you've updated your contact number, please let us know via PM.

How do I private message (PM) in the community

BasilDV

gpang5
Level 2

Thank you BasilDV,

1.2km from the node indicates we have been connected incorrectly. The neighbourhood node is located in a straight line from our house at the end of our street. As part of our troubleshooting I checked the distance via my odometer and it is between 500m - 600m in distance from node to our house.

I look forward to hearing from the technician in the morning.

Shane

You're welcome @gpang5,

We'd like to set your expectation that the distance of the Node going to the premises might not the same as the actual Line of Sight of the service. We checked this NBN Co. and confirmed that the distance is 1.2KM.

On the other hand, we've seen that you have been in contact with them and another call has been arranged later today. We'll keep an eye on this. Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

BasilDV

Hi @gpang5

We understand that our Tech team has been in touch and the case was escalated to our Engineering team for further investigation.

Updates will be given within 24 to 48 hours as soon as it becomes available.

In the meantime, if you have any further enquiries or require general information on the matter, contact us here and we'll be sure to get this coordinated for you.

BasilDV