TPG Community

Get online support

NBN Broadband Superfast Speed issue

SOLVED Go to solution
rasputin1999
Level 3

About two months ago, I switched from a 50mbps NBN HFC plan to the Superfast Unlimited plan, which should offer download speeds of around 200mbps. However, during this time, I have been unable to reach that speed at any given time. The best I could achieve was a meager 60mbps.

My wireless router is the TP-Link VR1600v provided by TPG. Here are the attempts I made:

1. I connected a computer with gigabit ethernet directly to the router using a CAT6 cable, but the fastest speed I could measure was 60/20 (download/upload).
  2. I connected another computer, which had an external USB wireless adapter, to the router's 5GHz WiFi network, but the fastest speed I could measure was 60/20.
  3. When my phone connected to the router's 5GHz WiFi network, the fastest speed I could measure was 50/20.

I am quite disappointed with these results and hope that someone can assist me with this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rasputin1999
Level 3

I finally chose to call technical service to solve the problem. The dedicated boy over the phoneline couldn't find the issue after trying various operations and was puzzled about why. Later, he said he would transfer the problem to another department for resolution. After it I was bored and started randomly clicking around on the TP-LINK VR1600V router settings. By chance, I turned off Parental Controls and wondered if that could be the reason. When I tested the speed again, I was delighted to find that the download speed it finally reached 200+mbps. So happy!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Ahra_G

Hi @rasputin1999

Let's have a look at the configured plan on your account. Any chance you can PM us with your TPG customer ID or username? 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G

rasputin1999
Level 3

I finally chose to call technical service to solve the problem. The dedicated boy over the phoneline couldn't find the issue after trying various operations and was puzzled about why. Later, he said he would transfer the problem to another department for resolution. After it I was bored and started randomly clicking around on the TP-LINK VR1600V router settings. By chance, I turned off Parental Controls and wondered if that could be the reason. When I tested the speed again, I was delighted to find that the download speed it finally reached 200+mbps. So happy!