NBN speed

BasilDV

Hi @chatswood,

We've seen that our Engineering team was able to arrange an NBN technician by raising this with their Management. The visit will require for you or someone to be at home.

Your experience is important to us and we will be keeping a close eye on your case and provide updates once available.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

chatswood
Level 3

what a joke the NBN visit was. The tech could see where my connection was. Less than 6 inches away from where the line comes into the house. The person he was talking to on the phone who he described as being overseas kept telling him the same story that it is excess cabling & distance from the node. The person on the phone then wanted to run another test but the NBN tech then complained about why they didn't run the test in the first place & then refused to stay moaning he would be on the phone for another 30 mins.........I repeat that I know how far away from the node I am.........why has my speed dropped by a third

BasilDV

Hi @chatswood,

Our apologies for what happened. I'll chase this with our Engineering team to check the technical report and have someone to contact you within the day.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

chatswood
Level 3

NBN have given me the following reference number 04018486.

The tech was completely disinterested. He rang before he came & I had to virtually convince him to turn up

chatswood
Level 3

i just got a text from +61 419 976563 telling me to call my service provider to reschedule my NBN appointment......what's going on

Shane

Hi @chatswood,

Please disregard the SMS message. Our Engineering Team requested a technician visit on Thursday, 6th of December between 8-12NN.

Updates will be provided by one of our Engineers via SMS or Phone call.

Cheers!

chatswood
Level 3

well i've had 2 people here for hours today. The only thing thats changed is that my upload speed has doubled to 3.4. Download speed is still  no better than high 13's after previously being stable at 18-19. No one can tell me why except to say there may be an issue with the cable between the house & the node...but who the hell is going to check that. NBN & TPG techs keep mentioning distance from the node...but that hasn't changed since I was getting 18-19.

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @chatswood What may be happening in your area is that the more customers that slowly connect to NBN will increase the traffic on a multicore trunk cable from your local pillar to the node.

What happens is that the increased traffic causes crosstalk, this lowers your SNR (signal to noise ratio) and throttles back your line rate to be more reliable at the expense of speed sometimes.

This will improve once everyone in your area gets off ADSL which is in co-existence on the same multicore cables. When ADSL is still enabled in an NBN area, the Node and DSLAM power levels are reduced to avoid interference and damage to and from other services such as ADSL and PSTN lines.

The reduction in power levels then in turn reduces your SNR and as a result the ability to connect at the best possible speed. You will also notice that your SNR will be slightly lower at peak times such as early evening as a result of the increased traffic.

It's still possible that you have a less than perfect connection to the node due to a failing joint somewhere, usually a remote line test will show that up but only if it's actually on the bad side of an intermittent cycle.

Shane

Hi @chatswood,

Thanks for additional details. The assigned Engineer tried to call you yesterday to provide you details of the case progress unfortunately no luck. We'll pass this on them and requests for feedback on Monday. In case you have preferred contact time, let us know and we'll arrange another call. Cheers!

chatswood
Level 3

there is no way this issue is resolved. Asking if I want to go back to 12/1 is not a solution. Given I can now only get 14/3 at best on the 50 plan how much do you reckon I'll get on a 12/1.......about as good as my old ADSL. There has to be a better solution for those of us WHO through no fault of our own being so far from the node. TPG was happy enough to take my money up front without telling me of any of issues so you can't completely hide behind the shonky NBN & their equally shonky FTTN