TPG Community

Get online support

NBN50 bandwidth issues

Mark8
Level 3
This plan states that UNLIMITED DATA and yet TPG always disconnects my security system stating bandwidth has been exceeded.
8 REPLIES 8
BasilDV

Hi @Mark8 

We'd like to have a better understanding of the situation.

Please send us a private message with your account details.

BasilDV

Mark8
Level 3
No one is @home to reboot router/modem
I am surprised that you say it is down and offline. It is normally very robust.
Usually the DVR (security recorder) is the one that crashes when I put it on line to reduce the bandwidth.
BasilDV

That's the result of our test.

Just perform a quick reboot once you are home or if someone is at home to get it back.

BasilDV

Mark8
Level 3
I suppose that you would have tried a soft reboot (through software).
Anyway thank you.
BasilDV

You're welcome, @Mark8

david64
Level 15

Hi @Mark8 . What was the solution for the problem (bandwidth has been exceeded)?

Mark8
Level 3
1. The router/ modem was offline and it needed a reboot which I was not able to do because I am away.
I confirmed this by not being able to access data from two ports of the router. (Solar panel status and my DVR of the camera security system.)
2. Well before this event, the DVR is the one that usually crashes. I spoke to TPG on the phone was told verbally that DVR constant uploads (to cloud server) have exceeded my bandwidth connection. As a compromise I normally put the DVR offline by disconnecting the data cable b/t DVR and router when I am at home. I only make the DVR online when I am away from home. This time they must have got desperate and crashed my router because I am away for too long.
david64
Level 15

@Mark8 . 

Does the DVR have no local storage?

You could have local network attached storage of several TB capacity. 

(4.7 GB = 2 hours DVD quality recording.   4 TB = 32 days. Larger capacity is available.)

How many cameras are there? What resolution do they use?

Any smarts like motion activation?

Do you know what the data rate of the DVR is? NBN50 has max upload speed of about 18 Mbps.

Does your router have a QoS or bandwidth control? This can limit the upload data rate.

Do you have a need to access the recorded video in real time or is it just to check on what happened at a particular time? Eg, if there was a break-in at some such time, you could go over the video for that time.