TPG Community

Get online support

Network routing issue to Tokyo

Vista
Level 3

A new game, Genshin Impact, was recently released in Asia, and their Asia server IP is 47.91.24.239 (Tokyo)

Using my NBN line, when I tracert, it reports that it goes to syd, then California, then Tokyo, then apparently back to california then tokyo again.

I checked with other players on Telstra and Aussiebroadband, and they do not exhibit this behaviour.

Subsequently, my connection / RTT to the game server is 380ms whereas other people have 180ms.

When I switch to 4G tethered, I am shown 190ms and the tracert does not connect to California, or cross the Pacific ocean for that matter.

15 REPLIES 15
SurfingVet
Level 2

I'm experiencing this too. I'm on FTTN NBN getting upwards of 350ms while my mates on Telstra, Optus and AussieBroadband (who have much lower speeds than me) have about 100ms. Using a VPN brings me to about 200ms, nearly half that of an unfiltered TPG connection. Definitely, not anticipated outcome with TPG. I'm not expecting <100ms but it should not be this bad.

Annotation 2020-09-29 041246.png

Morespam
Level 2

I get the exact same things (also playing Genshin Impact), I check the routes to both asian servers (one in HK 8.209.245.30 and one in Japan 47.91.24.239) and the routes are all over the place Europe->Japan->China->America->Singapore or Europe ->Japan->China->America->Japan and because of things pings are 330-360, its crazy.

The servers are all hosted with Alibaba Cloud (https://www.alibabacloud.com/) and it seems like traffic to these servers is being routed out of asia to america then back to asia.

My brother also plays (is not with TPG) and gets 120ms to the servers and if I switch to 4g (Telstra) and test I get 140ms (the routes to go out to America then back to asia).

Please fix this....

Shane

Hi @Vista,

Thanks for raising this to us. Please run a tracert and ping test on the Game's Server IP address and send me the test result. Also include your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file) and we'll proceed with further investigation.

Regards,

A new game, Genshin Impact, was recently released in Asia, and their Asia server IP is 47.91.24.239 (Tokyo)

Using my NBN line, when I tracert, it reports that it goes to syd, then California, then Tokyo, then apparently back to california then tokyo again.

I checked with other players on Telstra and Aussiebroadband, and they do not exhibit this behaviour.

Subsequently, my connection / RTT to the game server is 380ms whereas other people have 180ms.

When I switch to 4G tethered, I am shown 190ms and the tracert does not connect to California, or cross the Pacific ocean for that matter.

Shane

Hi @SurfingVet,

Please also run a tracert and ping test on the Game's Server IP address and send me the test result. Also include your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file) and we'll proceed with further investigation.

Regards,

I'm experiencing this too. I'm on FTTN NBN getting upwards of 350ms while my mates on Telstra, Optus and AussieBroadband (who have much lower speeds than me) have about 100ms. Using a VPN brings me to about 200ms, nearly half that of an unfiltered TPG connection. Definitely, not anticipated outcome with TPG. I'm not expecting <100ms but it should not be this bad.

Annotation 2020-09-29 041246.png

williamhong94
Level 2

Same here, averaging 360ms with nbn and on optus 4g i get about 100ms less than landline, which is really odd69dc129527e1179e8faddfb7dddb6c96.png

BasilDV

Hi @williamhong94

Welcome to the Community!

We'd like to look into your account for better understanding of the situation.

Please send me a PM with your TPG Username or customer ID number to assist you accordingly.

Also, run a tracert test using your game server IP address and give it via PM as well.

BasilDV

Vista
Level 3

If any other TPG users want to add on a complaint, don't bother. The follow up from an Engineer to me is that the upstream provider (that connects Australia to the rest of the world) for TPG does not have a more direct connection to the server, and there is NO solution. It will always hop to America.

I was told other ISPs have better connections because they either use a different upstream provider or own the network (like Telstra)

You must deal with this yourself. I would recommend using a VPN as a workaround

SurfingVet
Level 2

Thank you. Had 3 phone calls with people saying they'll escalate to networking or engineering or whatever. Not one of them wrote back to me what you just said. Guess there's only one permanent solution

Riezl

Hi SurfingVet , we have made a follow up with our Engineering Team and a case engineer will contact you as soon as a new update becomes available.