TPG Community

Get online support

No Increase in Speed after NBN Plan Upgraded

SOLVED Go to solution
martian
Level 3

Hello TPG Support,

Can you help? I have contacted your support team and you said you have lodged a ticket for me but I haven't heard back nor have I receive a opened ticket to follow up.

Problem:

I found no increase in speed after upgraded from NBN 50Mbps to NBN 200Mbps (NBN Cable Broadband Unlimited Superfast).

I have already received a comfiormation email on the plan upgrade completion and the new plan is already shown in my TPG account - NBN Cable Broadband Unlimited Superfast. Changres for the new plan has begun in invoice statement.

However, the Internet speed (reseults of various speed tests by Ookla, TPG customised etc.) remained similar to prior to my plan upgrade at: ~19Mbps/~50Mbps UP/DOWN. And this speed test is performed via cabled Ethernet to the Huawei HG659 and not via Wifi.

NBN Technology: NBN Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC)

NBN Modem WiFi router: Huawei HG659

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Riezl

Hi @martian , we had a look at your account and we can see that our Engineering Team is working on sending a new modem for comparative testing. You will receive further updates from the Case Engineer through SMS or phone call.

We have also forwarded your message to the team.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Riezl

Hi @martian , we had a look at your account and we can see that our Engineering Team is working on sending a new modem for comparative testing. You will receive further updates from the Case Engineer through SMS or phone call.

We have also forwarded your message to the team.

martian
Level 3

Thanks TPG.

The issue above is resolved at your server end and I was able to acheived 18Mbps/250Mbps UP/DOWN speed with my NBN 200Mbps plan with HG659.

TPG has since shipped me a TP-LINK Archer VR1600v v2 modem and encouraged me to swap the HG659 (the existing and old) with the new Archer VR1600v.

After swapping to Archer VR1600v, the internet speed dropped right back to 23Mbps/67Mbps!!!

TPG has since looked at the server end again but this time it has run out of solution. I have then booked in a TPG technician to visit my place to take a look. But because of the pandemic lockdown, I have booked in a date that is two weeks away.

In the meantime, do you have any suggestions what to try at my end to get the speed up again? All speed tests above are performed with an Ethernet cable connected directly to the modem router.

Or does anyone has experienced TP-LINK Archer VR1600v v2 on NBN Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) and can't get the bandwidth up to 200Mbps?

NBN Technology: NBN Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC)

NBN Modem WiFi router: TP-LINK Archer VR1600v v2

Thanks!

Shane

Hi @martian,

Thanks for the additonal details. Based on the information and the troubleshooting that has been exhaust by our Engineering Team. It is possible that the cause of speed fluctiation is line fault controlled by the NBNCo. if this is the case, only NBN technicians have the authority to fix this fault.

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

Thanks TPG.

The issue above is resolved at your server end and I was able to acheived 18Mbps/250Mbps UP/DOWN speed with my NBN 200Mbps plan with HG659.

TPG has since shipped me a TP-LINK Archer VR1600v v2 modem and encouraged me to swap the HG659 (the existing and old) with the new Archer VR1600v.

After swapping to Archer VR1600v, the internet speed dropped right back to 23Mbps/67Mbps!!!

TPG has since looked at the server end again but this time it has run out of solution. I have then booked in a TPG technician to visit my place to take a look. But because of the pandemic lockdown, I have booked in a date that is two weeks away.

In the meantime, do you have any suggestions what to try at my end to get the speed up again? All speed tests above are performed with an Ethernet cable connected directly to the modem router.

Or does anyone has experienced TP-LINK Archer VR1600v v2 on NBN Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) and can't get the bandwidth up to 200Mbps?

NBN Technology: NBN Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC)

NBN Modem WiFi router: TP-LINK Archer VR1600v v2

Thanks!

martian
Level 3

Hi Shane,

I doubt it's NBN line issue.

I have tested it a few times and it has been consistent: 

With the new Archer VR1600v it drops down to 23Mbps/67Mbps! But as soon as I swtich back to the old HG659, the speed shoots up to 18Mbps/250Mbps UP/DOWN.

Actiually there is another issue, since the plan upgrade from NBN 50Mbps to NBN 200Mbps, my home phone line no longer works - neither with the Archer VR1600v nor the HG659.

It's really frustrating!!!

Ahra_G

Hi @martian

I have since passed the information along to the assigned Engineer. 

I believe they will also need to confirm the tech visit with you. 

Kindly await for their call today. 

Regards,

Ahra_G

martian
Level 3

Thanks for your phone support call.

>Actiually there is another issue, since the plan upgrade from

>NBN 50Mbps to NBN 200Mbps, my home phone line no longer

>works - neither with the Archer VR1600v nor the HG659.

The phoen is fixed now thank you.

>I have tested it a few times and it has been consistent: 

>With the new Archer VR1600v it drops down to 23Mbps/67Mbps! 

>But as soon as I swtich back to the old HG659, the speed

>shoots up to 18Mbps/250Mbps UP/DOWN.

This issue remains.

If there is any sugestions that can be configued in the Archer VR1600v please let me know.

Else will just wait for the on-site technician to attend.

Thanks.

BasilDV

Hi @martian

Thanks for the update.

When using the TP-Link modem/router, did you test the speed via WiFi or Wired? If via WiFi, are you connected to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band network?

Have you tried to troubleshoot your speed issue? If not, we've created some articles that may help you improve your WiFi network.

If you've already performed the troubleshooting and the speed is still the same, then let's wait for the technician that is scheduled to visit your premises.

BasilDV

martian
Level 3

Hi @BasilDV,

Okay will wait for th technician.

By the way, I understand where you were coming from - the differnce in speed via drirect Ethernet cable, 5GHz Wifi, or 2.4GHz WiFi.

I tested via direct Ethernet cable from my notebook to the two Modem routers HG659 and TP-LINK Archer separtely.

Thanks.

martian
Level 3

And so the TPG technician came.

We connected up the VR1600v (umplugged the HG659). He factory reset the VR1600v and the Speedtest managed to reach ~200Mbps/23Mbps (or 250Mbps/23Mbps) with direct Ethernet connection. I also tested it on my note book with direct Ethernet connection and it also reached ~200Mbps. Tested TPG SIP connection worked too.

After the technician left for about half an hour to an hour later, the speed slowed down again - speedtest showed DL speed went back down to ~50-70Mbps/23Mbps. I even tested with 3 separate PCs - 2 notebooks and one desktop all with direct Ethernet conneciton to the VR1600v. Phoned TPG Support line up to performed a few more tests and over the phone and there's no improvements. The same speed went on for 3-4 hours before I swapped back to the old HG659. Now I'm using the old HG659 at ~210Mbps/18Mbps DOWN/UP.

TPG Support mentioned they have applied for a replacement device to be sent to me - VR1600v.

Hopefully this is sorted quickly as the speed with VR1600v is only ~1/4 of the speed NBN 200 plan I'm paying for right now.