TPG Community

Get online support

Non ISP supplied Router Setup Question

Fallen_Soull
Level 2
Hi,

Just after some help in regards to your service. My cusine got in touch with me in regards to his network not connecting to the internet.

From what I have been told he has fibre to the house.

He has also contacted your support line and was informed everything checked out okay setting wise and things should be work but they are not.
For extra testing I have supplied him a spare router to use for the time being. However this router also is not working. I have connected his old one up to my network after doing a factory reset and works on my network without an issue.

So the main question i have. When connecting a router to the NBN connection box, does TPG require login credentials on the router before able to access the Internet or should you be able to connect to the WAN port and away she goes?

If I cant help sort it out remotely, I might have no choice but to head over there on the weekend. Though this is not preferred.

Any help on this would be good and thank you in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @Fallen_Soull . Settings are PPPoE, username with @tpg.com.au on end, and password. For FTTP(house), that is all. (Other connection types need VLAN ID=2.) Depending on router, there might be other settings. What model is this router?

The router WAN port connects to the Uni-D1 port on NBN box using ethernet cable.

Fallen_Soull
Level 2
Thanks David.

Just to confirm. It is mandatory for the login credentials put in the router as you stated before? If the router doesn't have this option I take it, it can't be used.

The TP-Link router I let him use is a TL-WR1043ND, which I don't think has the option to put in credentials.

However he router that I had fixed up for my cousin is a netgear D6400 which does allow the credentials credentials. before doing the factory reset on it, these credentials where not set with @TPG.com.au on the end.

With all this, this gives me something to work with.

So please explain to me if you don't mind. If it is mandatory for the credentials. How come TPG still does this and telstra doesn't
david64
Level 15

@Fallen_Soull . Is your cousin's internet an existing one that stopped working or a new one that might not be ready yet?

What lights are lit on the NBN box?

It is mandatory for PPPoE. On the Netgear, you need to specify a VDSL connection. Ethernet cable goes from Netgear Internet port to NBN box. The manual from netgear.com is quite detailed. 

I don't know why an ISP chooses one over another.

Fallen_Soull
Level 2

" Is your cousin's internet an existing one that stopped working or a new one that might not be ready yet?"

Exsiting, He stated once the router came back on after a power outage, the internet wouldn't establish again. 
He contacted TPG support over the phone and they claim the NBN connection box seems to check out fine from their end but that was far as they could get. 

'What lights are lit on the NBN box?"

I am unable to tell that one as i am not at the place. But from what he read in the user manual, it seemed to check out to be okay. Plus also what i stated above. 

"It is mandatory for PPPoE. On the Netgear, you need to specify a VDSL connection. Ethernet cable goes from Netgear Internet port to NBN box. The manual from netgear.com is quite detailed. 

I don't know why an ISP chooses one over another."

Okay to easy, will have to pop over his place on the weekend i think is best for this then. 
Thanks for your help. If i get a resolution, i will update this thread with my findings. 
Thanks again.