Non Tpg router

SOLVED Go to solution
farah9
Level 2
Hi,
I have an NBN HFC connection, I'm looking to upgrade my router , I have looked through previous posts and the list of set up tutorials for non Tpg routers, but most of them suggest routers that are getting older now, which aren't even in stock any more. Just wanting to know if anyone has had any luck connecting any of the newer routers to the NBN modem, without needing to have the Tpg supplied router connected. I don't use the phone function at all, so not worries about that at all.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @farah9 . I didn't mean to change ISP. iiNet produced the list for their users wanting to use BYO router. iiNet settings are the same as TPG for HFC.

You can browse through Community looking for posts which mention other routers: Asus, D-Link, Netgear. TP-Link also make other routers but lots of posts mention TP-Link in relation to the supplied router.

BTW, two users have had trouble with D-Link DIR X5460.

View solution in original post

farah9
Level 2
Lol, yeah a knew what you meant, It's just what I was thinking of doing since I couldn't find a straight answer with Tpg, I'll have a look through the article you posted, Thanks for the help

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @farah9 . Check your local computer shops (JB HiFi, Harvey Norman, Officeworks, ...) to see what's available. All NBN-compatible routers have an ethernet WAN port to connect to an NBN box. While you have HFC now, if you have FTTB/N in a future house, you need one with RJ11 DSL port to connect to the wall socket. Most don't support a phone connection (which you don't need). They need to support VLAN tagging by setting VLAN ID=2; there are different ways of doing this. (FTTP doesn't use tagging.)  TPG have BYO router (data only) plan which doesn't use tagging.

Check this iiNet article on setting up various routers. They use VLAN ID=2. Don't know how old they are.

https://help.iinet.net.au/setting-common-non-iinet-supplied-modems-nbn-hfc

farah9
Level 2
Hi @david64,
Thanks for the reply, I was aware that I needed a WAN port on the router, but the posts I've read on here seam to contradict each other, some say that any router with a WAN port and VLAN tagging support will work for a HFC, some say some won't work even if they have all of the required features, would be great to have a list of at least some of the newer ones that work, I don't really want to change ISP, but would really like to have the freedom of changing from the provided router, thanks for the help anyway.
david64
Level 15

Hi @farah9 . I didn't mean to change ISP. iiNet produced the list for their users wanting to use BYO router. iiNet settings are the same as TPG for HFC.

You can browse through Community looking for posts which mention other routers: Asus, D-Link, Netgear. TP-Link also make other routers but lots of posts mention TP-Link in relation to the supplied router.

BTW, two users have had trouble with D-Link DIR X5460.

farah9
Level 2
Lol, yeah a knew what you meant, It's just what I was thinking of doing since I couldn't find a straight answer with Tpg, I'll have a look through the article you posted, Thanks for the help