TPG Community

Get online support

Nothing works. Constant disconnections. HELP!

SOLVED Go to solution
Joshtjbrown
Level 2
Hi. My service was connected yesterday. Im having some major issues.

Firstly my new $250 router is incompatible with the service. A TPG tech support and I tried for hours last night to get it connected with no luck.
I decided today to just give up on the router and connect my devices to the TPG supplied modem (Archer 1600v). I am having alot of problems.

-None of my gaming consoles will connect to it AT ALL.
-Phones are constantly dropping in and out of wifi connection
-I can't access my home CCTV security if connected to the modem.
-Connection drop outs are affecting my solar inverters log ins.
-If the wifi connection to my phones stays connected, half the apps work , half don't work. I can't even access the TPG app if I'm connected to the NBN wifi. I can't connect to the modems configuration page either if internet connection is lost.
-Half the apps are not working on my kids tablets for their home-schooling work either.

I called tonight and was told an engineer will call me . Within 30 mins I received a text message stating "TPG: Our tests show your service is now working. Fault ticket #11696845 is now closed and any technician appointment cancelled."

Nothing is fixed. The network is erratic and not usable.

I just changed from my previous ISP of 4 years. Never had a single thing ever go wrong. Speeds were always spot on and never had drop outs but I was recommended TPG by a friend and the plans were good.. I'm now regretting my change.

I can't do anything that I need it for. The customer support has mostly been fantastic but I really need a fix for this
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

@Joshtjbrown . You need the VR1600 to connect to the telephone wall socket.

Do the following on the AX50.

Change its LAN ip address to e.g. 192.168.1.2 and disable DHCP. Connect to VR1600 by LAN to LAN. You should see 4 wifi networks. You can login to each router's admin using the particular address.

You can do the same with the Technicolor; make it 192.168.1.3.

If the AX50 wifi has sufficient coverage, disable the VR1600 wifi. 

Of the devices that connect to the VR1600, do they get stable internet access or is VR1600 dropping internet? Do you have a computer connected to it by cable?

What model is the Technicolor?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
david64
Level 15

Hi @Joshtjbrown . What type of NBN connection do you have?

What is the model of the new router?

What is the model of the router from your previous ISP?

When you connected the new router, were your devices able to connect to its wifi?

Then the problem with the new router is that it won't connect to the internet?

When you connect the VR1600, does the internet connection come up? 

Problem is that no devices connect to its wifi?

When you do this, do you turn the new router off?

Was the VR1600 working with your devices before?

Joshtjbrown
Level 2
Hi david64.

Connection is fttn.
New router is TP link AX50.
Previous ISP modem/router was a Technicolour ISP provided one.
I can connect to the AX50s wifi but we could not gain internet connection to it from the VR1600 via WAN cable.

VR1600 has internet connection. (All lights solid green)
All devices connect to the VR1600 wifi but not all devices work on the wifi as I stated above.
New router isn't connected as it won't connect so it's put back in the box.
VR1600 hasn't worked properly since connection was made active 2 days ago.

I have re booted modem several times and factory reset it twice and I have tried to change the channel numbers for the wifi. Still have the same problems.
Was hoping the engineer team could have a look but after the ticket was made with TPG it was cancelled as stated above.
david64
Level 15

@Joshtjbrown . You need the VR1600 to connect to the telephone wall socket.

Do the following on the AX50.

Change its LAN ip address to e.g. 192.168.1.2 and disable DHCP. Connect to VR1600 by LAN to LAN. You should see 4 wifi networks. You can login to each router's admin using the particular address.

You can do the same with the Technicolor; make it 192.168.1.3.

If the AX50 wifi has sufficient coverage, disable the VR1600 wifi. 

Of the devices that connect to the VR1600, do they get stable internet access or is VR1600 dropping internet? Do you have a computer connected to it by cable?

What model is the Technicolor?

Joshtjbrown
Level 2
I'm not even bothering with the Ax50 right now the modem isn't operating properly so no point trying to add a router
Again the VR1600 is connected properly and internet is active.
All devices connected to VR1600 are dropping internet as explained already. Nothing is connected to it via cable

Technicolor is irrelevant from previous ISP. I through it in the bin
david64
Level 15

@Joshtjbrown . Ifyou think the internet connection on the vr1600 is stable, it is worth connecting the ax50 as explained above. Turn off vr1600 wifi and use the ax50 wifi. You can alter the ax50 wifi details to match the vr1600, to save having to adjust the other devices. It will determine if the vr1600 wifi is faulty.

If you don't need the voip function, there are other models with the rj11 connection for fttn.

Joshtjbrown
Level 2
OK thanks I will try re-connect the ax50 when I get home with your steps above
Joshtjbrown
Level 2
That worked! Thanks so much. Once I changed the IP address and connected LAN to LAN the Ax50 router connected.
I turned off the wifi to the VR1600 and all seems to be working as expected now connected through the AX50.
Thanks again david64