TPG Community

Get online support

Outlook can send emails but not receive them.

SOLVED Go to solution
keithwalters
Level 2
I have Outlook for Android running via my TPG account on my Samsung phone and it sends and receives emails OK, shows the sent and draft emails etc.
I've tried also setting it up on a Windows 11 PC running Outlook 2003. It accepted my TPG parameters and composes and sends emails perfectly well, but it can't receive any emails. Emails sent to my TPG email address show up in the Android version, but not the PC version.
Plus, the PC version doesn't show the "sent" emails that were sent by the Android version, and the Android version similarly can't see "sent" or draft emails composed by the PC version.
It seems like it can't access the TPG server for anything but sending emails.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

@keithwalters . Have you made the port number changes for SSL?

For the auto refresh, can you try this:

To automatically refresh your Outlook mailbox content, proceed as following:

1. Open  Outlook, and hit the Send/Receive button.
  2. Click on Send/Receive Groups drop down box and select Define Send/Receive Groups.
  3. Under All Accounts, Click on Schedule an Automatic Send/Receive every.
  4. Change the Minutes value from the default value of 30 to a smaller number, for example 10. Note that setting this value to less than 5 min might lead to duplicated entries in your inbox.
  5. Close the dialog box.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
BasilDV

Hi @keithwalters 

Have you tried to install a newer version of outlook on your PC?

The email account is working fine on your Android phone, so there's no issue with the TPG account.

Was it working fine before or it is the first time you tried to sync your TPG email with your outlook on the PC?

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

Hi @keithwalters . On your PC, what settings do you have for the incoming side?

Server name, port number, security setting. 

Any error message when Outlook starts?

If you can get PC to receive emails, then look at sync problem. Does the Outlook help on PC have anything on syncing?

keithwalters
Level 2
This is the first time I tried to use it.
I've had a TPG email account since 2015 but I've never tried to use it before.
Unfortunately, I can't upgrade to a later version of Outlook.
I have custom software that was written in 2004 that only works with Outlook 2003. It automatically generates Outlook emails, but does strange things if I try to use later versions of Outlook. I don't have access to the person who wrote the App, so I can't get it upgraded.
Obviously, for some reason my PC version Outlook can only access its local files, not the ones on the TPG server.
keithwalters
Level 2

Server name, port number, security setting.
Please see screen grabs attached
Any error message when Outlook starts?

No, it just fires up normally.
It can open up draft and previously sent emails that are stored on my PC, but apparently it's not syncing with the TPG server. 

If you can get PC to receive emails, then look at sync problem.
It doesn't receive emails. It can send them but not receive them,

david64
Level 15

@keithwalters . There might be another setting: Use same credentials for incoming and outgoing.

Suggest to Use Defaults on the screen in second picture to see if Outlook is working in basic mode.

Basic settings are: SMTP port 25 or 587, no security; POP3 port 110, no security.

Then, add SSL security: SMTP port 465; POP3 port 995.

keithwalters
Level 2

I used the default settings (as per screenshot) and then when I clicked the "Send/receive" tab, all my incoming emails appeared plus a list of the ones I sent from my phone.

It appears that my "Inbox" doesn't get refreshed until I click on that.(?)
Well anyway, that's some progress!
I can't see any setting to make that auto-refresh

keithwalters
Level 2

So confirming everything now seems to work except that, while new messages automatically appear on the phone version of outlook, they don't appear on the PC version until I click the send/receive tab. I can't see any setting to make that happen automatically. Closing and restarting Outlook doesn't do it.

david64
Level 15

@keithwalters . Have you made the port number changes for SSL?

For the auto refresh, can you try this:

To automatically refresh your Outlook mailbox content, proceed as following:

1. Open  Outlook, and hit the Send/Receive button.
  2. Click on Send/Receive Groups drop down box and select Define Send/Receive Groups.
  3. Under All Accounts, Click on Schedule an Automatic Send/Receive every.
  4. Change the Minutes value from the default value of 30 to a smaller number, for example 10. Note that setting this value to less than 5 min might lead to duplicated entries in your inbox.
  5. Close the dialog box.
keithwalters
Level 2

Yes; that's got it! It's also set up so it automatically does a sync on start up and shutdown.
Thanks a lot for all your help.
So now we know that Outlook 2003 definitely will work with Windows 11, it's just a bit strange to set up.