Packet loss

SOLVED Go to solution
adam1958
Level 2

Hi, I've been experiencing packet loss recently at my location.

To measure it, I've used Wireshark and set a capture filter for TCP. Filtering that for retransmissions gives me 2.4% of all TCP packets -- so it's quite a large amount of loss.

That's downloading at around 10Mbit/s. At a less saturated rate of 1.5Mbit/s, loss is ~1%, which is still fairly high...

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Shane

Hi @adam1958 ,

Do you experience any latency issue the last 2 days? We monitored the connection it has been stable for 4d 20h 55m with no latency issue recorded.

Note: We'll change the connection settings of your service to the way it was, you may experience connection drop out today

Please confirm, we'll wait for your response. Cheers!

View solution in original post

adam1958
Level 2

I think there is still a little bit of packet loss, but now the raw speed seems a bit faster, so I don't think any more changes to the connection are necessary... Thanks for the help anyways! It's not a huge problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Shane

Hi @adam1958 

Welcome to the community!

What troubleshooting have you done so far? We'd love to help and see what causes packloss to your connection. We tried to use your community and we got matching records found. To ensure we have the correct account.

Please PM us your (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file).

In case you need a reference: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Cheers!

adam1958
Level 2

I have found this happens on multiple computers, and have restarted my modem/router. I have not tried another modem/router, but I think I might have another one lying around somewhere...

I'll post another response once I've tested it on another router, and soon I'll also test it on different ports in my house.

I do not have a phone connected, but I am using an ADSL filter. 

Shane

Thanks for sending me your details @adam1958,

We ran an initial test of your service and we've seen a minimal dropout caused by noise on the line. We made an adjustment to your connection for monitoring purposes, this is to eliminate the noise and to stabilize the connection.

Note: This change may affect the speed of your service for the mean time. We'll monitor your connection for the next 24-48hrs.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards,

Shane

Hi @adam1958 ,

Do you experience any latency issue the last 2 days? We monitored the connection it has been stable for 4d 20h 55m with no latency issue recorded.

Note: We'll change the connection settings of your service to the way it was, you may experience connection drop out today

Please confirm, we'll wait for your response. Cheers!

adam1958
Level 2

I think there is still a little bit of packet loss, but now the raw speed seems a bit faster, so I don't think any more changes to the connection are necessary... Thanks for the help anyways! It's not a huge problem.

Shane

We're glad to know that @adam1958 in case you will have queries or concern in the future do not hesitate to create a thread here in our community.

Cheers!

Dhamm
Level 2

Hi there,

I have been having severe packet loss over the past week - only just started happening about a week ago.

The TPG internet has been flawless until now.

During play of video games, the game suddenly freezes up and lags out before coming good again, this last usually about 3-5 seconds at a time.

I thought it was the game, so tried a whole bunch of different things to try and fix it, but then while playing a different video game the same thing was happening, packet loss dropping all the way to 200%, so I knew it can't be the game, must be something to do with the internet.

I've unplugged, reset, and even played around in the modem settings, before setting it back to how it was, but can't seem to fix it or get it sitting smooth again.

Can you please look into this TPG? It's very unbearable to play with!

Thanks, 
David

Shane

Hi @Dhamm,

Thanks for raising this to us. We'd love to help see what causing packet loss wit hyour service. Please send us your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file). Also include the Online Game and the Server affected.

In case you need a reference: 

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards, 

Hi there,

I have been having severe packet loss over the past week - only just started happening about a week ago.

The TPG internet has been flawless until now.

During play of video games, the game suddenly freezes up and lags out before coming good again, this last usually about 3-5 seconds at a time.

I thought it was the game, so tried a whole bunch of different things to try and fix it, but then while playing a different video game the same thing was happening, packet loss dropping all the way to 200%, so I knew it can't be the game, must be something to do with the internet.

I've unplugged, reset, and even played around in the modem settings, before setting it back to how it was, but can't seem to fix it or get it sitting smooth again.

Can you please look into this TPG? It's very unbearable to play with!

Thanks, 
David