TPG Community

Get online support

Phone Line Surge Protection

SOLVED Go to solution
luro
Level 2

Hi All,

I used to run a surge protetor on the old ADSL modem I had for the power and also for the phone line, without an issue. Can I run this same surge protector on the NBN line? I am thinking something like the Jackson phone and aerial surge protector. Only thing I am worried about is will it affect the speed etc.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shane

Hi @jmhmorse,

Welcome to the community!

Phone line surge protector is different from Power Surge Protector.

Phone line surge use is to protect against power surges by diverting excess electrostatic discharge energy, faulty wiring or lightning away from dataline/phone line connections that could affect the performance of Home Phone service. We no longer advise to use the Phone Line Surge Protector since NBN's phone service is VoIP ready.

On the other hand, Power Surge Protector use is to protect the devices s from voltage spikes.

Regards,

Hi,

Our modem has been fried twice during storms due to a surge through the phone line (once in November 2020, and again last night) which then takes several days to be fixed waiting for a technician to come and replace the modem.  Hence the question about a surge protector for the phone line is very relevant.  Are you able to describe why you suggest a surge protector is not necessary (or would not have helped), or whether it perhaps could have helped and therefore whether we can use one or not.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Shane

Hi @luro ,

You no longer need to use a surge protector when NBN service becomes available in your area. The only thing that will affect the speed of the NBN service is the quality of the copper line in the event that the technology available in your area is NBN-FTTN/FTTB.

Note: For FTTB and FTTN customers, we will inform you of your maximum line sync speed once available.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards,

jmhmorse
Level 2

Hi,

Our modem has been fried twice during storms due to a surge through the phone line (once in November 2020, and again last night) which then takes several days to be fixed waiting for a technician to come and replace the modem.  Hence the question about a surge protector for the phone line is very relevant.  Are you able to describe why you suggest a surge protector is not necessary (or would not have helped), or whether it perhaps could have helped and therefore whether we can use one or not.  Thanks.

Shane

Hi @jmhmorse,

Phone line surge protector is different from Power Surge Protector.

Phone line surge use is to protect against power surges by diverting excess electrostatic discharge energy, faulty wiring or lightning away from dataline/phone line connections that could affect the performance of Home Phone service. We no longer advise to use the Phone Line Surge Protector since NBN's phone service is VoIP ready.

On the other hand, Power Surge Protector use is to protect the devices s from voltage spikes.

Regards,

Hi,