TPG Community

Get online support

Rainway game streaming

shaunharvey
Level 2

Trying to use Rainway software to stream my games to my mobile phone when I'm away from home. Everything appears to functioning as it should at least as far as Rainway's setup goes. I have previously used this software with no issues before the NBN upgrade. It still functions perfectly over the LAN, but will no connect over the internet.

9 REPLIES 9
david64
Level 15

Hi @shaunharvey . Need more info. You have Rainway app on your mobile phone and you're trying to play games. Where are the games located? How do you connect to the games? Does you phone have normal internet access at that time?

Bear in mind that your NBN plan probably has a dynamic ip address that can change, unlike ADSL which was static.

shaunharvey
Level 2

Hi @david64 ,

Rainway is a game streaming app. The games run on my home PC and then stream to my phone where I control them. Similar to something like Google Stadia but the games are running on my PC not a server.

Phone has 5G service with no connection issues. I'm also running a Plex server which runs perfectly fine. Both programs use UDP. Rainway uses ports 22000 through 22010, Plex uses a seperate port that I can't remember of the top of my head. I can also use Parsec (similar in functionality to Rainway, also using UDP, but more aimed at full desktop/app streaming more than games) with no issues.

Previously was on Telstra Cable (not adsl) when it used to work fine, if that makes a difference.

Seems to be something about Rainway itself, but support is pretty slim for the program. The only thing I can find is that if I'm having connection issues they seem to think it's going to be ISP related.

david64
Level 15

Hi @shaunharvey . You've set up port forwarding on your router for Rainway, Plex and Parsec, but only Rainway is having a problem. You must have set up DDNS on your router and have an account with no-ip or DynDNS to handle ip address changes.

Looking on internet, Plex uses TCP port 32400; Parsec can be configured with any port. 

Can you configure Rainway with different ports, say over 30,000?

Since Parsec is working, can you configure it to run with the ports used by Rainway? This would prove that the Rainway ports aren't being blocked by TPG.

david64
Level 15

@shaunharvey . There is also a tool on the internet that does a port scan of an ip address.

There is a freeware program called Wireshark that you can install on your game computer. It monitors ethernet traffic and can capture the connection packet from your phone when you try to stream a game.

shaunharvey
Level 2

Hi @david64 

Thanks for your assistance. I've tried various ports and nothing seems to work. Even using the same ports as Parsec (with parsec not running of course). I forgot the mention that it also uses UPnP, however no combination of UPnP enabled/disabled in Rainway and port configuration or port fowarding seems to have any effect.

I haven't set up any DDNS on my router. Up until now I'm using all the default settings. I did not need to set up port forwarding for Plex or Parsec as they also use UPnP to do it automatically. I even resorted to installing Rainway on my laptop, same issue. Works fine over LAN but won't connect over internet.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to try next. Given that everything else seems to work fine it appears to be a Rainway issue, and yet I never had any issues until switching from Telstra to TPG.

Thanks heaps for trying though.

shaunharvey
Level 2

Gave wireshark a go but it's a bit beyong me. No clue what I'm looking at, and there did not appear to be any changes in traffic when trying to connect. Certainly nothing stood out as being denied a connection or anything. Seems to indicate more of a Rainway issue.

david64
Level 15

Hi @shaunharvey . So, all three apps use uPnP. When the apps are active, does the router show all the port forwarding settings set by the apps? (Not a upnp user so don't know what it looks like.)

You're not using DDNS so how does the client app on your phone find your home ip address?

Is it the same method for all three apps?

david64
Level 15

Hi @shaunharvey . Wireshark has to be installed on the computer with the Rainway program. If you got Wireshark to record anything, you're nearly there.

In the top pane is Source ip (your phone) and Destination ip (your computer 192.168.1.x). In the Info column, the connection from phone to computer has two port numbers (source port on phone and destination port in computer) and characters [SYN] and other stuff.

To reduce the amount of traffic to look through, apply a Filter for the Rainway ports:

tcp.dstport>=22000  and  tcp.dstport<=22010 

It would be instructive to check out Parsec and Plex first since they are getting through. Use their standard ports and change filter accordingly. The filter only shows frames going to the app, not the other way. If you find the SYN frame, use the phone's ip address to filter its traffic, e.g.:

ip.addr==1.2.3.4

shaunharvey
Level 2

All the apps require a login, and I'm not sure but I assume, part of the login server keeps track of your external IP address.

Router shows all the ports listed for each application, so in theory, no issues there. I will run wireshark tomorrow now that I know what to look for and see if any connection from Rainway is making it to my PC at all.

Thanks.