TPG Community

Get online support

Rogue account- Refer to TIO or Police?

Jeff1949
Level 4

My wife’s email account (….@picknowl.com.au) was closed down by TPG/Chariot with her full knowledge and approval on Sept 18.
About 4 weeks after that closure, an account using the same email address has been opened by persons unknown, without any of my wife’s request, her knowledge or her consent.

This looks similar to an illegal a scam in progress. We have requested that this rogue and unauthorised account be urgently closed down, but TPG Customer Relations are not responding to our requests to do so.

Is it now more appropriate that the issue be now escalated as a formal complaint to the TIO, or alternatively should it be referred to the police for investigation?

Clarification added on 19/11/2022
The following is an effort to clarify the situation to enable better understanding of this issue and remove any confusion amongst TPG support staff who appear unable or unwilling to understand the situation.

My wife, being the owner of the email account, was advised that her account would be closed on Aug 8 together with many other legacy Picknowl accounts managed by Chariot. This closure was the result of a TPG business policy decision. Before the scheduled closure date, my wife, as suggested by Chariot/TPG, had already successfully transferred all her email requirements to a different account with another company.

Her Picknowl account was therefore no longer required and was therefore completely redundant and unwanted and she had no wish to continue paying for it.
She saw no need to take any further action as she fully expected it to be closed down by Chariot themselves on the date of Aug 8 as they clearly indicated it would.

However, the account failed to close on the scheduled date of Aug 8. This was later found to be because the service had obviously been extended without notice from that date by Chariot. This extension of the service was neither requested nor was it required by my wife.

Because the process of transferring her email account had already been completed, and the Picknowl account was no longer needed or wanted, my wife decided to initiate its closure herself by stopping further payments for the continuation of that account. In response, and as expected, the account was duly made non-operational by Chariot Accounts on Sep 18 to the relief and satisfaction of my wife.  She was by then, fully operating with another company, and had no ongoing service with Chariot, and no further need or desire to be associated in any way with Chariot or TPG.

The break was complete and to the mutual satisfaction of both parties …or so we thought.

The account remained non-operational from Sep 18. However, very unexpectedly, nearly 4 weeks later on Oct 14, without any notice or explanation whatsoever, the account was made operational again by persons unknown.

My wife and I were completely bewildered by this and approached the case manager allocated by TPG for an explanation of what was going on with this rogue account. Those requests for assistance were ignored by the case manager and TPG Customer Relations.

During those 4 weeks, the account was not operational on any day. This was easily verified by login error messages returned on each day caused by automatic login attempts that had yet to be disabled on my wife’s email client.
TPG refused requests to explain why the account had been re-opened after 4 weeks and by whom, and then also refused to close the unwanted account despite repeated and legitimate requests to do so. My wife also naturally refused to pay the new invoice for the account that she never requested, and which had the audacity to include the period when the account was actually not operational.

My wife felt as if she had been taken hostage by Chariot/TPG and was forced to be a Chariot/TPG customer against her will and was understandably outraged by Chariot/TPG's continuous refusal to close the account when requested to urgently do so. This remained the case all the way until the business decision process finally kicked in to close the relevant Picknowl accounts on Oct 31.

Staff from TPG Customer Relations continue to attempt to convince me that this is a normal situation, claiming that it is simply an extension of the account and should be of no concern to me. That interpretation is plainly and blatantly ludicrous as it is completely inconsistent with the facts that I have consistently presented to them, and I therefore beg to differ with TPG's interpretation. It does not look anything like standard practice of a responsible company to me, as I am certain that most other TPG customers and even TPG management would agree.

So although the account is now finally closed, not as a result of our persistent pleas, but as a result of external activities such as the business decision, the incomprehensible manner in which this has been managed lingers on, with TPG continuing to either ignore it or defend it, and we feel entitled to a full and honest explanation by TPG.

15 REPLIES 15
Jeff1949
Level 4

With the absence of any considered replies, particularly from TPG Moderators, it looks like I need to refer the issue of non support of my problem by TPG to the TIO and the potential criminal activity to the Police.

Shane

Hi @Jeff1949,

We chased this with our Complaints Resolution Team, expect them to contact you via email.

Regards,

With the absence of any considered replies, particularly from TPG Moderators, it looks like I need to refer the issue of non support of my problem by TPG to the TIO and the potential criminal activity to the Police.

Jeff1949
Level 4

I look forward to the contact by email by the TPG Complaints Resolution Team. Unfortunately I think I already know how they work and how that interaction will go. Probably very similar to the quality level of the TIO Complaints Resolution Team within TPG. ...No acceptance of responsibility, but always willing to say it's someone else's fault!
I hope to be proved wrong!

Jeff1949
Level 4

As expected, no contact has been made by TPG Complaints Resolution Team after 4 days.
This is however, entirely consistent with the abysmal communications and concern that TPG demonstrate to their customers who can only feel that TPG are treating their issues with contempt. A really sad situation that customers should not have to put up with especially as the isue relates to potential illegal and criminal activity.

Angeli

Hi @Jeff1949

Your assigned case officer will reach out via email to you today. Apologies for the delay. 

Regards, 

Angeli

Jeff1949
Level 4

Hi Angeli
No contact has been made by any assigned case officer.

...But that is not unexpected, based on my experience of interactions with, and specifically with the lack of repsonses from all levels of TPG support and service personel that I have dealt with over the last few months.

From extensive experience, I'm pretty sure that I know more about the reliability of assigned case officers and support staff dealing with customers than you may do.

You can follow your script, and offer more apologies for the delay if you wish, but that merely represents lip service that does not in any way change the reality of what customers have to put up with when dealing with TPG when they have a legitimate problem and their requests for customer assitance are continually ignored.

I find this to be particularly disturbing when considering that TPG appear to be ingoring the potential of criminal activity of persons unknown, involved in creating rogue accounts using personal details of customers, clearly without the owner's knowledge or authority.

Jeff1949
Level 4

Been waiting 4 days now Angeli.
Do you wish to revise your estimate and come up with some "alternative facts", or simply give up and accept what your customers are genuinely trying to say about TPG support responses?

Ahra_G

Hi @Jeff1949

We believe that a Case Manager has been communicating with you via email and we highly recommend to respond to the officer for directly for assistance. 

We referred the matter back to the officer. Kindly await response via email. 

Thank you! 

Ahra_G

Jeff1949
Level 4

Arha_G
Thanks for trying to help but I have yet to receive a response on the matter specifically regarding whether to refer this issue of unauthorised rogue email accounts to the TIO or to the police.

I wonder if you would care to also remind the case manager that you refer to, that he has yet to respond to my eleven emails requesting assistance from TPG Customer Relations on these following dates...
04 Oct, 05 Oct, 06 Oct, 07 Oct (1 of 2), 09 Oct, 10 Oct, 11 Oct (1 of 2), 12 Oct and 13 Oct (1 of 2), 14 Oct and 17 Oct, none of which have been responded to, or even acknowledged by my case manager or TPG Customer Relations.
Thank you