Security certificates

david64
Level 15

Could a moderator pass this on to whoever maintains the security certificates for the tpg.com.au web server.

Is someone fooling with the security certificates for TPG web server tpg.com.au?
I have a Samsung J3 mobile phone (Android 5.1.1) that I use to check my emails using Chrome and Post Office. I have been doing this for over 5 years. One time several weeks ago, and Wednesday (7th Dec), I was unable to do this because of an incomplete certificate chain being sent to the phone. I tried deleting the browser cache, restarting phone, and turning it off and on. Didn't fix it.
I turned off mobile data and connected the phone to my home wifi. Problem still occurs, so it's not caused by my mobile carrier.
Thursday morning (8th Dec), I tried again and it worked. I did nothing to the phone between when it didn't work the previous evening and when it started working in the morning. So, something happened with the TPG web server before I used it on 7th Dec, and when it was working on 8th Dec.
About 9:15 pm (8th Dec), same problem has occurred. An Android tablet with Chrome was affected for a short while but is working now. The mobile phone is still not working. Other web sites (Community, Wikipedia, Google, banks, retailers) still work, just not tpg.com.au.
Some time before 2:30 pm Friday, the phone is working again. But it failed and worked randomly though afternoon and evening.  Friday night and still not working.

The certificate chain has 4 entries:
*.tpg.com.au
R3
ISRG Root X1
DST Root CA X3
When the problem occurs, only the first two entries in the chain are being sent.
The browser window shows the message: Your connection is not private
NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

19 REPLIES 19
Shane

Hi @david64,

Thanks for bringing this up to us. We will coordinate this with the relevant team for investigation. We will notify you as soon as an update is available. 

Regards,

Could a moderator pass this on to whoever maintains the security certificates for the tpg.com.au web server.

Is someone fooling with the security certificates for TPG web server tpg.com.au?
I have a Samsung J3 mobile phone (Android 5.1.1) that I use to check my emails using Chrome and Post Office. I have been doing this for over 5 years. One time several weeks ago, and Wednesday (7th Dec), I was unable to do this because of an incomplete certificate chain being sent to the phone. I tried deleting the browser cache, restarting phone, and turning it off and on. Didn't fix it.
I turned off mobile data and connected the phone to my home wifi. Problem still occurs, so it's not caused by my mobile carrier.
Thursday morning (8th Dec), I tried again and it worked. I did nothing to the phone between when it didn't work the previous evening and when it started working in the morning. So, something happened with the TPG web server before I used it on 7th Dec, and when it was working on 8th Dec.
About 9:15 pm (8th Dec), same problem has occurred. An Android tablet with Chrome was affected for a short while but is working now. The mobile phone is still not working. Other web sites (Community, Wikipedia, Google, banks, retailers) still work, just not tpg.com.au.
Some time before 2:30 pm Friday, the phone is working again. But it failed and worked randomly though afternoon and evening.  Friday night and still not working.

The certificate chain has 4 entries:
*.tpg.com.au
R3
ISRG Root X1
DST Root CA X3
When the problem occurs, only the first two entries in the chain are being sent.
The browser window shows the message: Your connection is not private
NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

Bernielynam
Level 2
I've been having this problem for 2 weeks! I ca no longer access tpg homepage or my mail using my android tablet. What the hell is going on?
david64
Level 15

@Shane . The certificate error on my phone looked to have been fixed last Monday. So, did TPG or your contractors do anything or did they just hope it would go away?

But, it has happened again today. I was using Post Office on my Galaxy Tab A6 tablet and about 9:15 refreshed the screen and got the same certificate error. It also happened again on my mobile phone.

Shane

Hi @david64,

Could you post the screenshot of the Security certificates error message for reference.

Regards,

@Shane . The certificate error on my phone looked to have been fixed last Monday. So, did TPG or your contractors do anything or did they just hope it would go away?

But, it has happened again today. I was using Post Office on my Galaxy Tab A6 tablet and about 9:15 refreshed the screen and got the same certificate error. It also happened again on my mobile phone.

david64
Level 15

@Shane . This is when I use the shortcut URL to Post Office, but same thing happens just going to tpg.com.au.

Shane

Thanks, @david64

We provide the feedback as soon as it becomes available.

Regards,

@Shane . This is when I use the shortcut URL to Post Office, but same thing happens just going to tpg.com.au.

Ahra_G

Hi @david64, our PostMaster just want to confirm if you have tried other browser? If so, we may then need to raise this with our DevTeam. 

david64
Level 15

@Ahra_G .

Chrome is only browser.
Chrome has NO problems with any other web site.

Chrome on Android V4.4.2 tablet:
Certificate chain provided by TPG: *.tpg.com.au and R3 (signed by ISRG Root X1).
The ISRG certificate is not sent so Chrome shows certificate error.
I add the self-signed ISRG Root X1 certificate to the credential store and NO error.

Chrome on Android V5.1.1 tablet. No changes made to this.
Certificate chain provided by TPG: *.tpg.com.au, R3, ISRG Root X1, DST Root CA X3.
Chrome shows NO certificate error. This is how it has always been in the past.
The tablet has no relevant certificates preloaded; they come from TPG.

I haven't restarted this tablet in a long time. If I did, I expect it would get the certificate error.

Chrome on Android V5.1.1 phone: works the same way as Android V4.4.2 tablet. The phone was working properly before with the chain of 4 certificates, but I have had to add the ISRG certificate.

Chrome on Win7 PC: there is already a ISRG certificate in the store, so TPG always works, whether TPG sends just 2 certificates (using ISRG from certificate store), or, it sends the full chain. Normally, I use a mail client on PC. I only use TPG web site for speed test or checking account. It has always worked so I can't tell whether it used the chain of 2 certs or chain of 4 certs. I use Post Office on the other devices much more often than I use TPG web site on PC.

My questions to you:
What device and software version and browser is the postmaster using?

Is their device getting certificate error? If not, what is the certificate chain shown in the padlock symbol?
What certificates are loaded in the credential store?

BasilDV

Hi @david64

Are you still getting the same error message?

Are you able to try this website as well : https://www.tpg.com.au/home/postoffice?

BasilDV