TPG Community

Get online support

Server error 535: banned from using SMTP AUTH due to previous abuse

SOLVED Go to solution
jfed
Level 2

Hi, I'm hoping there is a moderator who can help with this issue, as it is affecting my business.  Here are the bullet points:

* My email client is Windows Live Mail

* Yesterday on arriving at work there was an alert from my virus scanner saying a threat had been removed and the computer needed to be restarted.

* After rebooting I have been unable to send emails via my email client.  I can recieve emails, and I can send emails via the web portal.

* I had not changed any settings on my email client.

* Via google search and these forums I can see this error is usually caused by a virus having spammed mass emails from the host, causing TPG to flag the account and block the user from using SMTP authentification.

* Also from the TPG forums I see a common way to resolve this issue is to reset the TPG account password, wait 30+ minutes and log on again.

* I tried this method several times yesterday, including reseting the password and leaving the account overnight before trying again this morning, but still the same error.

* I also ran a deep scan of my PC twice yesterday to ensure there were no other virus related issues.

* I spent one hour on the phone yesterday with a TPG rep who walked me through resetting my password, and checking/trying every combination of server settings in my email client.  As mentioned, none of these settings had been changed and have worked for 10+ years.

* In reading the TPG forums I have seen mentioned a few times that to resolve this issue a ban had to be lifted from the server side - this is what I am hoping a moderator can help me with.  

I look forward to a reopsonse, I really need this issue resloved quickly, as it is greatly affecting my ability to carry out business.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jfed
Level 2

Quick update - After my initial post I received a PM from a TPG mod asking for my TPG account username and a couple other questions. About one day after my reply I received a missed call and a text message from TPG saying that if I was still having issues to text back a conveinient time for them to call me.  I quickly tried to send an email (I had been trying intermittently over the past couple of days) and it went through!  And I've had no issues since.

So I am assuming that what I have read from other users on the forum is true - that in some cases the "spam abuse" ban has to be lifted manually from TPG's side.  The end result is I am happy with the outcome.  Of course I would have preferred an easier direct method of conact to quickly resolve this issue, but I want to say "thank you" to the mods/support staff who resolved this for me.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Shane

Hi @jfed ,

Thanks for raising this to us. I would love to help and get to the bottom of this please send me the following information.

Affected E-mail address:
Customer ID/UN:

Also we'd like to confirm if the e-mail is working using our post office ( https://www.tpg.com.au/home/postoffice )

In case you need a reference:

How do I private message (PM) in the community 

Regards,

@jfed wrote:

Hi, I'm hoping there is a moderator who can help with this issue, as it is affecting my business.  Here are the bullet points:

* My email client is Windows Live Mail

* Yesterday on arriving at work there was an alert from my virus scanner saying a threat had been removed and the computer needed to be restarted.

* After rebooting I have been unable to send emails via my email client.  I can recieve emails, and I can send emails via the web portal.

* I had not changed any settings on my email client.

* Via google search and these forums I can see this error is usually caused by a virus having spammed mass emails from the host, causing TPG to flag the account and block the user from using SMTP authentification.

* Also from the TPG forums I see a common way to resolve this issue is to reset the TPG account password, wait 30+ minutes and log on again.

* I tried this method several times yesterday, including reseting the password and leaving the account overnight before trying again this morning, but still the same error.

* I also ran a deep scan of my PC twice yesterday to ensure there were no other virus related issues.

* I spent one hour on the phone yesterday with a TPG rep who walked me through resetting my password, and checking/trying every combination of server settings in my email client.  As mentioned, none of these settings had been changed and have worked for 10+ years.

* In reading the TPG forums I have seen mentioned a few times that to resolve this issue a ban had to be lifted from the server side - this is what I am hoping a moderator can help me with.  

I look forward to a reopsonse, I really need this issue resloved quickly, as it is greatly affecting my ability to carry out business.

Thank you

jfed
Level 2

Quick update - After my initial post I received a PM from a TPG mod asking for my TPG account username and a couple other questions. About one day after my reply I received a missed call and a text message from TPG saying that if I was still having issues to text back a conveinient time for them to call me.  I quickly tried to send an email (I had been trying intermittently over the past couple of days) and it went through!  And I've had no issues since.

So I am assuming that what I have read from other users on the forum is true - that in some cases the "spam abuse" ban has to be lifted manually from TPG's side.  The end result is I am happy with the outcome.  Of course I would have preferred an easier direct method of conact to quickly resolve this issue, but I want to say "thank you" to the mods/support staff who resolved this for me.