TPG Community

Get online support

Slow 5g home broadband … why?

Iancm
Level 3

I switched to the 5g Home Broadband Premium level as my NBN was so slow and my expectation was that I would get better performance with the switch. 

Initially it was ok, but now I am lucky to get around 20Mbps most times. My TV is barely watchable at times and iPads connected stop working. There are 2 of us in the house and I have relocated the modem several times. I am also running a TP-Link AX1800 Wi-Fi Range Extender to enable house wide coverage. Performance makes no difference whether on the Extender or the actual Modem. 

Unless we can get this issue resolved I will be looking elsewhere for internet. 

5 REPLIES 5
Rica_R

We can see why you're upset, @Iancm. Let us try and see what we can do to rectify the problem.

Can you send us a PM with your TPG account and we'll check your 5G connection within the area? 

Thanks! 

Iancm
Level 3

Internet issues got marginally better for the past few weeks, but today it is hopeless. If it works at all it is anything from 0 to 26 Mbps download. Since switching to 5G the average download speed has been about 33Mbps, I have had over 100Mbps occasionally but I need to be standing next to the modem. 
Today the modem stopped working and all the signal lights flashed on and off for about 20 minutes before resetting itself ... when it does work only 2 of the 4 signal lights are on. 

BasilDV

Hi @Iancm

Aside from relocating the modem/router, have you tried to reset it?

If not, please try to factory reset the modem/router first. Any changes you've made will go back to default, but you can reconfigure it again.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

Iancm
Level 3

I have again moved the modem, and I have reset it also. Still have issues with it stopping several times and for several minutes between 11:30 and 1:30 every day and also around 6-7pm every day. When it IS working the performance seems better than it has been, but it doesn't stay up consistently and is frustrating as hell ...

ian

BasilDV

Hi @Iancm

We'd like to raise this with our Tech team for further investigation.

Shoot me a PM with your preferred time and best number to be contacted today.

BasilDV