TPG Community

Get online support

Slow ADSL2+ Speeds, 2.4km from Exchange

Jaybools
Level 2

Hello reader,

I am posting to get some clarity over my expected speeds for my ADSL2+ service. My download speeds appear to be a fair bit slower compared to TPG's sample of users around the same address.

Modem / Router report:
Mode: G.992.3_Annex_A (Shouldn't ADSL2+ be 992.5?)
Link Power State: L0

Up / Down
SNR Margin (0.1dB) : 58 / 62
Attenuation (0.1dB): 285 / 385

Output Power (0.1dB): 126 / 194

Attainable Rate (Kbps): 836 / 6120
Rate (Kbps): 833 / 5513

TPG shows my possible cable distance to be 2484m. Other TPG users near my address (<500m) with similar attenuation are getting 10,000Kbps+ sync speeds.

From my elementary understanding of DSL, it seems like the line is quite noisy which is forcing TPG to throttle my speed to make it stable. I'm wondering if there's anything TPG can do to troubleshoot the line noise, or isolate it to a specific cable run eg. Exchange --> MDF has good stats which indicates the problem is internal wiring. Any help is much appreciated!

EDIT: Just to clarify other troubleshooting steps I've taken;

- Router is D-Link DSL-2888A and firmware is up to date

- No other devices are connected to the network

- No other phone lines in the house are in use

- Speeds are the same whether I use an ADSL2+ rated line filter or not

4 REPLIES 4
Erika

Hi @Jaybools,

Welcome to the Community! 

Thanks for raising this with us. We’d really like to have a better understanding of what’s happening with your service.

Appreciate all the details and checks done to isolate this issue. This will really help us to get to the bottom of this issue much faster.

The signal being sent out on your connection is Standard ADSL2+. The distance and copper line quality affects the mode shown in the modem as it will only adapt to the signal it receives. 

I've located your account using your Community details and has conducted series of tests. 

Currently, the line tests result does not show any physical issue and the parameters are within specification. 

I do still recommend that we have one of our technicians give you a call to resolve your issue as your service may be affected by other factors.    

Please let us know your best time and contact number via PM so I can get a technician to call you.

For your reference, please see How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards, 

Erika

Hi @Jaybools,

Thanks for sending your details via PM.

I've now arranged a call from one of our technicians on Wednesday, 26 December between 10am - 11am. We would appreciate if you'll be at home during the time of call as our technicians would like carry out simple checks with you to eliminate any possible equipment issue. If this time is not suitable, please let us know and we'll have this rearrange for you.

Regards,

Jaybools
Level 2

Hi Erika, 

Thankyou for escalating this for me - The technician on the phone was very helpful and acknowledged the sync speeds were quite slow. As a result someone was sent out to inspect my line / MDF / IDF, troubleshot the issue and resolved it. Sync speeds are now nearly doubled which is a great outcome. Thanks!

Vhorlon
Level 4

.........Until it goes bad again. You may not have to wait vey long.