TPG Community

Get online support

Slow NBN Cable 50 - Less than 5-10Mbps download speed, Upload speed is ~10Mbps

SOLVED Go to solution
F_rank
Level 3

My current plan is NBN cable 50, which should be up to 50Mbps download and 20Mbps upload but since around a week ago, the internet speed has dropped off significantly and is difficult to use as there are many devices in my household. The highest I've seen downloads go up to is 12Mbps but it usually stays around 5Mbps, and uploads stay around 10Mbps. Additionally, iphones have a tough time automatically connecting to the wifi, even if the modem is right next to it (Not sure if it's related). 

Modem: D-LINK DIR-X1560

I have tried resetting the modem to factory settings and reseting the NBN blackbox via the button on the back. I also have a PC connected to the modem via ethernet cable to lan, which also has slow internet.

Currently, my internet setup is like this: The NBN blackbox is downstairs connected via coaxial (I think it's HFC), and instead of connecting the NBN blackbox directly to my modem using an ethernet cable, I use a powerline ethernet adapter, which connects to the modem upstairs because I have thick brick walls downstairs which blocks out signal to half the house.

I've used this setup for a long time with no issues, and internet speeds were mostly as expected until now.

Currently, I'm suspecting that the modem/router is the issue.

Please let me know if there is anything I can try to do. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BasilDV

Hi @F_rank 

Have you tried to connect the modem/router directly to the NBN NTD box bypassing the power line adapter to check the connection speed?

If not, try it first if possible. Also, we'd like to run some tests on the network.

Please send us a private message with your account details.

BasilDV

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BasilDV

Hi @F_rank 

Have you tried to connect the modem/router directly to the NBN NTD box bypassing the power line adapter to check the connection speed?

If not, try it first if possible. Also, we'd like to run some tests on the network.

Please send us a private message with your account details.

BasilDV

F_rank
Level 3

Hi, thank you for the response. Sorry for not replying earlier, I was tinkering around trying to fix the issue.

I think I have found the issue. After seeing your message, I tried connecting the modem directly to the NBN blackbox and the internet was very good even on wifi, so I thought the problem was the powerline. The wall socket where the powerline adapter was plugged into was old and run down, it didn't look so good, so I moved it to a wall socket in much better condition, which seems to have fixed my problem. My internet is running at full speed now, 52Mbps download, 18Mbps upload. Smiley Happy

BasilDV

Glad that this has been resolved @F_rank 

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Cheers!

BasilDV