Slow upload

SOLVED Go to solution
Jjjunebbb
Level 2

I've been trying to upload a video, it's been sixteen hours so far. Can I get a better upload speed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

@Jjjunebbb . It's strange the upload can go for 16 hours and not hit the peak or offpeak data limit.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
david64
Level 15

Hi @Jjjunebbb . What speed plan are you on?

And what type of NBN connection do you have?

When you did the speed test, was the video upload still running or had you stopped it?

Jjjunebbb
Level 2

Thanks for replying. I am on basic plan, the video was still, and is still, trying to upload when I did speed test. NBN is a cable from the street to a box in my house, forget what it's called.

Jjjunebbb
Level 2

I stopped the upload, here's the new speed test.

david64
Level 15

@Jjjunebbb . It looks like your basic plan is NBN12/1. Speed tests vary a bit between them, and even change depending on load in the NBN network. Login to My Account to check your plan speed.

HFC has a black box with 4 green lights and black cable

FTTC has a white box and 4 blue lights

Does the video upload program give an indication of how fast it is going? There could be delays at the other end causing it to upload slowly.

Windows Task Manager, Networking tab is a good indicator of the transmission speed when you restart the upload. It shows bytes per interval, or just use timer and start and end byte count.

Jjjunebbb
Level 2

Yes, it's a black box. My plan details says - NBN Cable Broadband M Bundle. I'm uploading to Vimeo, tried three times, and it gives me a message something like this upload is taking a long time, check back later. I can't see any indication of the rate. I'm using Apple. Does 12/1 mean 12 down and 1 up? Thanks, again, david64.

david64
Level 15

@Jjjunebbb .  Is your Apple using cable connection or wifi?

I had to look on the internet for this:

The Basic (nbn12) TPG M Bundle offers the following features:

• Up to 12Mbps download / 1Mbps upload connection speed
  • 12Mbps Typical Evening Speed
  • 100GB Data Usage (50GB Peak + 50GB Off-Peak)

If this is indeed your plan, your speed is 12 down and 1 up.

There is also this note on the speed; something to keep in mind but you haven't reached this yet.

Slowed to 128kbps after data limit.

Speed will be shaped for the period in which the monthly usage quota
has been exceeded (peak and/or off peak). Downloads and uploads counted.

To determine a transfer speed, use another device to login to the router's admin.

I assume you are using VR1600 router.

Go to Advanced, System Tools, Traffic Monitor. Activate it. Select the LAN port the Apple is on. The graph gives some indication. Scroll down to the table. Note down the Tx and Rx bytes of the Apple's port. Start the upload. Give it 10 minutes and note the new numbers. Work out bytes per second. Multiply by 10 to get an approx value for bits per second. Turn off traffic monitor when finished.

In the table, Rx is bytes received from the device. 

david64
Level 15

@Jjjunebbb . It's strange the upload can go for 16 hours and not hit the peak or offpeak data limit.

Jjjunebbb
Level 2

It's all a mystery. I think you gave me a big part of the answer with the 12/1. I checked TPGs plans page and not one of them mentions the upload speeds, only download. I had to ask chat. I've been thinking for awhile that TPG has become out of date, and out of step.  
The video is uploading again, seems to be humming along, all being well it should take another hour, making three in total.

I appreciate your help, and hope you get a reward for your trouble!

All the best, June

david64
Level 15

@Jjjunebbb . Some info on Apple activity monitor.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/activity-monitor/welcome/mac

Select OS version. Click Table of Contents, scroll down and click View network activity. 

Data received/sec, Data sent/sec shows how fast uploads/downloads proceed.