TPG Community

Get online support

Spam with doctored "To" email addresses

SOLVED Go to solution
baseaman38
Level 3

I have recently received Spam mail from a Server in Panama where the header has been "fiddled" to bypass the usual header checking program. The "To" address is Bruce.baseaman2591.baseaman38@tpg.com.au

and there is no such user.

Anyother TPG customers being hit with this junk?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
baseaman38
Level 3

This will be the last (I hope) of this post. Before I asked for help via the community I had spoken with the help desk and their advise was for me to send a copy of the email and headers to the postmaster@tpg.com  This I did and received a short reply advising that they had received the full header and the text. I followed this up with a second header (and in these cases I mean the whole header in as an unformated text) so that there was nothing left to guess about. I have no idea of who the postmaster is or the staff around him/her but I was hoping for some further status comment indicating some progress. Yesterday I forwarded a copy of one of the messages to gmail to see what they would respond. So far the message has not been received to the inbox at gmail but neither do I have a bounce message, so that is a little annoying. Might try the same thing to hotmail and see if I can stir up some response from that group.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Shane

Hi @baseaman38,

Thanks for raising this to us. It is a possible scam email and we highly recommend to ignore it. We did an article that you may find helpful. Feel free to visit the link below.

How to Handle Scam Calls/ Emails

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

baseaman38
Level 3

I checked the suggested article which really told me everything I had previously learned.

I setup email filters to block these unwanted emails and the next load of spam has a slightly modified header which bypasses the previously set filter. There is no sense in trying to unsubsribe as that only indicates that somebody is receiving this spam what I would prefer is to have TPG block this spam by a more detailed examination of the header.

Here is part of the header under the TPG-Abuse: header: note my email address within this portion of the header.

-TPG-Abuse: host=interlay.webcamemails.com; ip=88.86.123.177; date=Tue, 27 Aug 2019 00:56:22 +1000

Received: from interlay.webcamemails.com (interlay.webcamemails.com [88.86.123.177])
        by mx1.tpgi.com.au (envelope-from baseaman2591@webcamemails.com) (8.14.3/8.14.3) with ESMTP id x7QEuH5e029114
        for <baseaman38@tpg.com.au>; Tue, 27 Aug 2019 00:56:22 +1000
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=webcamemails.com;

Then at the bottom of the header is the following:

To:Bruce.baseaman2591.baseaman38@tpg.com.au
x-smtpapi:{"category":["AMsolo"]}
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 07:56:15 -0700

Which is what is displayed on my email header.

As I have stated I am not an expert (in fact I dont like that expression) but there must be a better way to cut off the water pipe that these guys are using.

How many email names can I use with TPG?

If I have to change  my name I need to keep multiple accounts open until I can advise everybody, except the spam clowns.

Help please; anybody else getting these annoying spams?

I must be getting old as I find no pleasure in this sex junk!

Will

Hi @baseaman38,

If you haven't done it yet, I suggest tagging the said email as Spam. This will flag the email address so our server will detect it as a spammer and messages from the said address will no longer go to your inbox.

You can find the spam button above the list of messages in the post office.

spam.png

Regards,

baseaman38
Level 3

Thanks, No that is something I did not know, I set my filters to move all the spam stuff into my spam folder.

I will do that as soon as I can and watch to see what happens.

Thanks Again

baseaman38
Level 3

Just a little bit more. There is no such icon for the Spam folder but there is from the Trash folder.

Don't know how many of the spam email are necessary so I only marked a few of the latest received.

My fingers are crossed.

Will

Hi @baseaman38

You won't really have a spam button in the Spam folder since all the messages in that folder are considered as Spam already.

Basically, once you tag a message as Spam, the message will go to the Spam folder. In addition, the email address will be flagged on our end so future messages from the said email address will now go to the Spam folder or will be blocked completely.

Feel free to drop by if you still have other concerns.

baseaman38
Level 3

I'm learning and you can teach old dogs new tricks (little bit of mirth thrown in). So far I have used the filters to move messages from the inbox to the spam folder, so which method is prefered? Flagging messages as spam using the spam icon or setting filters to move the messages to spam? For years I have used a local email client to store the messages on my PC rather than leaving on the ISP server. This lot of spam emails appears to get around some of the ISPs POP mail software. If I can read the header information TPG actually flag my spam message as suspect but still deliver them to me. TPG have also listed one of the remote servers as "black listed" (I think that is correct) but have still accepted email packets. I will wait and see what happens now but intend to follow this trhoughh to the end to try and mess up the KNUTS who are the creators.

Will

Hi @baseaman38,

It's best to tag it as spam instead of setting up a filter option to move it to the spam folder. This is to ensure that the email address is flagged on our server.

baseaman38
Level 3

This will be the last (I hope) of this post. Before I asked for help via the community I had spoken with the help desk and their advise was for me to send a copy of the email and headers to the postmaster@tpg.com  This I did and received a short reply advising that they had received the full header and the text. I followed this up with a second header (and in these cases I mean the whole header in as an unformated text) so that there was nothing left to guess about. I have no idea of who the postmaster is or the staff around him/her but I was hoping for some further status comment indicating some progress. Yesterday I forwarded a copy of one of the messages to gmail to see what they would respond. So far the message has not been received to the inbox at gmail but neither do I have a bounce message, so that is a little annoying. Might try the same thing to hotmail and see if I can stir up some response from that group.