TPG Community

Get online support

Static IP address on NBN home account?

SOLVED Go to solution
ornea
Level 2
The argument that we are running out of public ipv4 doesn't make sense to me.
Consider %99 of nbn users are always on and therefore issued an ipv4 public address.
Therefore having dynamically allocated ipv4 addresses does not allow them to make better use of the limited number they have been allocated assuming 99% of everyone who has nbn with tpg have there modem on and powered and therefore have a public ipv4 address.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
I am curious if any NBN customers are NAT'ed. I know I am not.
ornea
Level 2
I just got some snail mail of an isp that is offering static ip. Will post thier name once I get home. Might have to swap over as dynamic ip is problematic for me
Spaceman
Level 2

Really! I have to pay extra for a buisiness plan for static ip that I already had for 10 plus years. Very poor form TPG. Already regretting sticking with TPG on the NBN!

Spaceman
Level 2

Yeah TPG have turned into Telstra.  Enquired about static IP just to be told to fork out $$$ for a Buisiness plan, hang on, Ive had static IP on ADSL for well over 10 years. Set up DDNS but what a pain!

Something else to consider, voip call to Penrith from Engadine for 1hr cost $10 Same call and duration with Faktortel cost 9c! This is a voip service not a fixed old school land line, how are these charges justifiable?

Oh did I mention just how unreliable and frustrating it was trying to make or recieve calls with TPG voip "service". So glad we did not can Faktortel.

Loyalty pretty much evaporated with this mob!

melissaf
Level 2

I agree. 

Customers who are changing over should be made aware of this change to their service which they have taken for granted will be present. I have been a customer of TPG for over 6 years and have gotten used to being able to whitelist my IP address on websites I administer.

This is really disappointing. I'm on the 50/20 plan. I can get the IP address on the corresponding business plan for $90/month, an extra $30/month.

Right now I have a bad taste in my mouth about this TPG, because I had to discover it the hard way - when my IP address changed three times in three days. It wasn't even the same Class C address.

My 18 month contract started last week.

Thanks for the tip to look into NoIP. I'm not sure if it will work for my situation but I'll be looking into it.

Billious
Level 3

Personally I'm not that bothered about not having a fixed IP, though it would be nice. What does bother me is that it is constantly changing! I'll be in the middle of playing an online game when suddenly it cuts of saying my IP has changed. I'll be connected to work via VPN and will suddenly be cut off for the same reason. Even my email client forces me to log back in because of this.

My IP changes as often as a few times an hour - and I can't think of ANY technical reason why that would be necessary. Once a week - even once a day - would be acceptable, but this is ridiculous. If it continues I will have to consider another provider.

Erika

Hi @Billious

Welcome to the Community! 

We definitely want to get this resolved for you. Ive searched for your account using your Community details and was able to find a match.

Just ran a remote line test and this shows no physical issue on the line. 

But I do still recommend that we have one of our technicians give you a call tomorrow to resolve your issue as your service may be affected by other factors.    

Please let us know your best time and contact number via Private Message so I can get a technician to call you.

For your reference, please see our Community Article on How do I private message (PM) in the community.

Regards, 

Billious
Level 3

Thanks for getting back to me! I'll PM you shortly.

Erika

Hi Billious, 

Thanks for sending your details via Private Message. Smiley Happy 

I've now arranged a call from one of our senior technicians tomorrow, Tuesday, 29 January between 7pm - 8pm VIC time. 

If you ever need additional help, please feel free to reach out. 

Cheers, 

Billious
Level 3

Hi Erika,

I had a call from the customer service representative, and they suggested that the issue might be caused by us only have a 10Mbit/s connection, which is being used by too many different devices. Apparently if the upload channel gets saturated the router will reset, causing the IP address to change. Useful to know, though some updated firmware would be nice to prevent this!

Anyway, on their recommendation I've upgraded our account to a 47Mbit/s plan, which has improved our upload speed considerably. However, our download speed is about the same as it was before, and is less than the upload speed! See the image below. This is a fairly typical reading, though I have had slightly more and substantially less at other times. I used tpg.speedtestcustom.com.

So, I'm very grateful for the improved upload speed, but I was also expecting to see some improvement in the download speed.

Thanks, Bill.

2019-02-09.png