TPG Community

Get online support

Still cannot connect to NBN HFC

longy1990
Level 2

Received NBN HFC equipment yesterday.
Spoke with support to activate NBN Box - now have 4 solid lights.

TPG TP-Link Modem will not connect.
Contacted support yesterday.

Attempted reset, manual input of details and still cannot connect.

Was told the ticket would be escalated.

Support contacted again tonight and told me to wait until tomorrow.

Doesn't sound like my ticket was escalated!

Not a good start!

9 REPLIES 9
david64
Level 15

Hi @longy1990 . For VR1600, Connection type is PPPoE, username with @tpg.com.au and password. 

Tick VLAN ID enable and set to 2.

Is the WAN light on the router lit?

If no good, try factory reset and configure again.

Check router system log (Advanced, System Tools, System Log). You can Save Log to a file on your computer, then copy and paste it into the reply.

longy1990
Level 2

@david64 wrote:

Hi @longy1990 . For VR1600, Connection type is PPPoE, username with @tpg.com.au and password. 

Tick VLAN ID enable and set to 2.

Is the WAN light on the router lit?

If no good, try factory reset and configure again.

Check router system log (Advanced, System Tools, System Log). You can Save Log to a file on your computer, then copy and paste it into the reply.

Hi @david64 

Tried that, still no luck.

Tried username without @tpg.com.au as well. Tried with and without VLAN ID enabled.

I have WAN light on router. Tried a different network cable.

Tried factory reset and re-entering settings.

The error in the log I am getting as below continuously

2016-01-01 13:12:35 [6] PPP: ppp3 sent [PADI Host-Uniq(0x000039e4)]
2016-01-01 13:12:45 [6] PPP: ppp3 sent [PADI Host-Uniq(0x000039e4)]
2016-01-01 13:13:05 [3] PPP: ppp3 Timeout waiting for PADO packets
2016-01-01 13:13:05 [3] PPP: ppp3

david64
Level 15

@longy1990 . If you have the proper cable in the proper socket, there must be something wrong in the NBN network or at TPG; router is not receiving this particular packet.

longy1990
Level 2

@david64 wrote:

@longy1990 . If you have the proper cable in the proper socket, there must be something wrong in the NBN network or at TPG; router is not receiving this particular packet.

Just to continue this one.

Escalated support called, ran through exactly same support steps as previous call.

Determined must be an issue with NBN

NBN technician came today and advised there is no issues with NBN network, in fact a very good signal here.

He determined must be an issue with TPG activation or with router they sent me.

This has been a nightmare.

david64
Level 15

@longy1990 . I would tackle TPG again. Setup the router as discussed. On other occasions, they say they can test the line up to the NBN box or the router. If they say they can see the NBN box, unplug the coax from the wall socket. Any change at their end? Reconnect the coax and unplug the router from the NBN box. This will make sure they are checking the proper connection.

longy1990
Level 2

@david64 wrote:

@longy1990 . I would tackle TPG again. Setup the router as discussed. On other occasions, they say they can test the line up to the NBN box or the router. If they say they can see the NBN box, unplug the coax from the wall socket. Any change at their end? Reconnect the coax and unplug the router from the NBN box. This will make sure they are checking the proper connection.

They must be able to see the NBN box as the escalated support reset it remotely and I saw lights go off and back on as it was being reconfigured.

I will call TPG again shortly once I muster the energy to sit on hold and get asked to run through basic troubleshooting steps for the 4th time by an offshore level 1 technician.

david64
Level 15

@longy1990 . Does your Arris unit have 1 ethernet port covered up so it can't be used? And it is ethernet cable going to the router?

When you call, just say the NBN box has been tested remotely and you just need the router to be tested?

If the router does not connect (timeout messages in the log), you might be able to put the heat on for a replacement router.

davidward0dw
Level 2
Hi,
Did you get a resolution to this problem? I just connected the hardware - same issue. It has been "escalated"...
Cheers
Dave
BasilDV

Hi @davidward0dw

Welcome to the Community!

We were able to locate your account and learned that this case has been escalated to our Engineering team.

We understand that you've requested to rebook the NBN technician visit and your assigned Engineer will be in touch with you for further update.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

BasilDV