TPG Community

Get online support

Suddenly email will not send via thunderbird

SOLVED Go to solution
bendedknee
Level 3

All has been working fine for a long time, Send message error. "The configuration related to smtp.tpg.cam.au must be corrected" but suddenly stopped and gives this message. I tried TPG but after much talk, the line cut out while I was waiting to be put throuigh to someone else.

I see this is not an uncommon problem but there was no fix on the other threads.

Please can someone help me?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
bendedknee
Level 3

@BasilDV

then I put it back to STARTTLS and this time my test went through OK.

View solution in original post

bendedknee
Level 3

TPG's "help" here is no match for the help I've had from both Thunderbird and from my mail handling provider, Fastmail — the 3 of them are linked in this specific issue. TPG's mail settings are insecure and I have found that Thunderbird automatically tried to use security and I believe that was causing me grief. I have no idea why it happened suddenly but I am now moving my mail to Fastmail as a much better option.

This is what I got from Thunderbird, with my thanks. I hope it will be useful for you.

Use the following manual settings in Thunderbird:

Protocol: POP3 Incoming server name: mail.tpg.com.au Port: 110 SSL: None Authentication: Normal Password

SMTP Outgoing server name: mail.tpg.com.au Port: 25 SSL: None Authentication: Normal Password

TPG's settings are not in Thunderbird's database of known email service providers database, so it makes a guess using "common server names". You can't rely on those. Use the official settings given by TPG on their website, or as summarised above. Those settings should work in Thunderbird without any problem assuming all is well on TPG's side.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
bendedknee
Level 3

I reset my password as advised by tpg here: https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/Cannot-Send-Email-Rejected-by-the-Server-Banned-f... but it made no difference.

BasilDV

Hi @bendedknee 

Welcome to the Community!

Just to confirm, only outgoing email is not working, right?

If yes, were you able to try to use TPG Post Office to check if outgoing email is working? If not, please try it first.

Once confirmed that the TPG email is working through TPG Post Office, then try to remove and reconfigure your TPG Email in Thunderbird.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

bendedknee
Level 3

Thanks @BasilDV,

I had checked already and I could send from the TPG mailbox but I'm in all sorts of trouble at Thunderbird. I managed to set up a new default mail so that I could delete the one that was giving me grief.

But now I have no accounts showing at all; not even the newly added one. I've gone onto Youtube to see what I am missing but have had no joy.

The new TPG account seems to set up OK but when I click 'done', the program gives me 'unablke to login at server'. IMAP or SMTP Username and password are correct (tried many times) but I just can't get the new account to complete so that I can test it.

BTW I've lost everything from the old account Smiley Sad

bendedknee
Level 3

@BasilDV,

I did a new install of Thunderbird and ran into all the same rejections. But when I changed Connection Security to None (I know, bad) it worked fine.

What does that tell you?

bendedknee
Level 3

@BasilDV

then I put it back to STARTTLS and this time my test went through OK.

BasilDV

Thank you for the information, @bendedknee 

Please send me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number for us to check on this further.

How do I private message (PM) in the community?

BasilDV

dbird
Level 3

I would also like to add that I too have just started having this issue today. The message I received was "The connection to server was reset". Thunderbird had just updated not long before this started. 

BasilDV

Hi @dbird 

Are you unable to send and receive email through Thunderbird?

Have you tried to use TPG Post Office to check if your TPG email is working?

If it's working through TPG P.O., then you may try to use another Email client or remove & reconfigure your email account.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

dbird
Level 3

Works fine through the Webmail interface

I have attempted to set my account up in the Windows Mail app, and it too seems to be failing to receive any emails.

Trying to re-add my account to Thunderbird using the TPG mail servers and auto detected settings, it gives me the error as in the attached image.

Configuration is as detected by server, and username and password are correct. 

Unfortunately this has caused me to lose all my saved emails for the account which I did not want to do. Thanks for that.