TPG Community

Get online support

TPG NBN Ultrafast unstable as F

Juliusz
Level 3

For the last three weeks (starting around the end of April 2022) my TPG NBN Ultrafast, quite an expensive plan, is complately useless. During the day I get 75-100% packages lost while pinging random servers. It is practically impossible to talk to someone on a call, as during a 30 min video conference I lose connection 4-5 times and my voice is scattered.

I need the connection to work. At the moment I am forced to use my mobile connection as it is a 1000 folds more reliable then the "Ultrafast NBN" garbage. Nice that it sometimes gets high download/upload speed in tests but, come on... Losing on average 75% packages?

I sincirely think 75%-100% of my last invoice should be refunded.

And please check my connection and fix it.

Kind regards,

Juliusz

14 REPLIES 14
Shane

Hey, Juliusz.

We ran an initial test the result shows a possible line fault affecting the service, this has been raised to our Engineering Team for urgent assessment. Expect an update via SMS or Phone call from us once test result becomes available.

Regards,

Juliusz
Level 3

Thank you for a prompt reply.

Is there an official process to follow in cases when my connection quality drops below a developing country standards? Should I simply post my concerns here? It is not the first time I've experienced that and I'd really appreciate a suggestion how to quickly get help.

Cheers!

BasilDV

Hi @Juliusz

If you are experiencing issues with your service, we advise customers to check if it's affected by an outage first before performing any troubleshooting like reboot, etc.

If there's no outage affecting the service, then you have the option to call our Technical support team on 1300 997 271, raise a ticket via TPG App or post here in the Community for assistance.

BasilDV

Juliusz
Level 3

Hello again,

The NBN technician came yesterday - a nice dude. He checked the modem and the router and then he said it was all because of a faulty cable (connecting the NBN modem to the wall socket). All good and well despite the fact that it didn't help with my unstable connection at all. I'm stil experiencing random connection drop at minimu on a hourly basis. All online presentations, meetings, or work directly with remote machines is pretty much impossible in that case. I REALLY need a stable connection as both me and my wife work from home.

Help!

BasilDV

Hi @Juliusz

We'll chase this with our Engineering team and have someone to get in touch with you today to further discuss the case.

BasilDV

Ahra_G

Hi @Juliusz

We've detected that your connection has now been stable for more than a day; however if this isn't the case, do let us know. Also, the assigned Engineer has been trying to reach you to no avail. Please reply to the SMS on when's the best time to call you to discuss the status of the lodged fault.  

Thanks!

Ahra_G

Juliusz
Level 3

I'll monitor the connection and let you know if it got better.

As to the engineers trying to contact me - they tried calling me 5 times in a row and each time I picked up they could not hear me, even though I could hear them just fine. It seems that, ironically, there was an issue with the connection.

When it comes to SMS, I got only one message dated Friday, and it was not signed or there was no mention of what it was about. So don't blame me for not replying.

Thanks for keeping in touch. I'll update you about the connection stability. Plus there is some scheduled NBN maintenance on my lot this week, hopefully that will also help.

Angeli

Hi @Juliusz

Thank you and we'll pass your message to our Engineering Team. 

Cheers!

Juliusz
Level 3

Hello,

Another NBN technician visited me and this time my NBN modem was replaced with a brand new one. Additionally, the technician told me that the WiFi router provided by TPG (TP-Link Archer VR1600) is way too slow for the connection speeds I am getting from Ultrafast NBN (over 500 Mbps) and the router is simply overheating and restarting. To the point where it becomes a fire hazard as the plastic casing is visibly discoloured by the high temperature. Additionally, the ethernet cable I got from TPG was cat 5, which has throughput up to max 100 Mbps.

It would be nice if TPG, together with pretty expensive Ultrafast NBN service, provided me with equipment that would allow me to use it. Or at least told me that I need to buy a new router and ethernet cable.

In order to fix the issue, I've bought a new faster router (TP-Link AC2600) and a cat 6 cable. But now I'm struggling to set up the router. Even though I've basically cloned all the settings from the original TP-Link provided by TPG, the new router still can't connect to internet. It seems to get stuck on "Connecting" endlessly.

I've tried all the three instructions:

https://www.tpg.com.au/helpdesk/pppoe/Modem_configuration_TPLINK_OSX.pdf

https://www.tpg.com.au/helpdesk/pppoe/Modem%20Guide%20-%20TP-Link%20Archer%20C4000%20(FTTP).pdf

https://www.tpg.com.au/helpdesk/pppoe/Modem%20Guide%20-%20TP-Link%20Archer%20VR900%20(FTTP).pdf

But neither seem to solve the issue.

Is there any chance I could get some help setting up the new router?