TPG Community

Get online support

TPG Throttling NBN Upload Speed in Archer 1600V2

Doggaveli
Level 2

Hi Everyone,

TPG recently disconnected my NBN 100/40 plan and then reconnected it back at 100/20 as I decided to change ISP's but then changed my mind. The other ISP didn't cancel my order and still processed it. I re signed up to TPG and my upload speed was only getting 18.8 mbs. I was looking in the advanced settings of the archer 1600v2 and clicked on bandwidth controll.

To my surprise TPG was throttling my NBN upload speed automatically and without my consent or approval to 19200. I un ticked this and then contacted TPG who advised me that they do this so customers don't exceed upload speed otherwise the NBN will disconnect their service. I told them they have no right to do this to customers, without telling them and asking for our consent and approval.

Someone then called me back the next day and said that I did the setting and it wasn't TPG. So I factory reset the modem with a safety pin, and then surpise surprise when I logged back into their modem it automatically applied upload speed throttling again. I have again disabled and I have screen shots and proof and I am also reporting this to the ACCC as this is so low and dirty by TPG and they could be saving millions of dollars here and ripping of thier loyal customers. I have attached a photo to show everyone here so check your settings and ensure your not being ripped off and robbed of your full upload speed.

I'm interested to see how many people this is occuring to, and worst of all I never knew about it and I presume many ppl wouldn't even know either.

Kind Regards,

DOGGA

8 REPLIES 8
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @Doggaveli , the bandwidth control is actually there to stop overrun errors on the NBN network which will cause retransmission of the upload data packets and increase latency. By having a limiter with a safe headroom margin it virtually eliminates upload errors as it only has to transmit the data once.

By removing the limit any overrun will need to transmit the incomplete packets multiple times until they are delivered error free. It's simply applied for your benefit nothing else. Even set at 20000 will produce errors that's why a safety margin is used, so 19200 is the placebo point.

Doggaveli
Level 2

So why wouldn't they have one on the download as well then?

orbistat
Level 8

@Doggaveli wrote:

So why wouldn't they have one on the download as well then?

Hi @Doggaveli because downstream it's only going to stream data at the prescribed limit of your NBN plan, upstream if you exceed the plan the total bandwidth of the backbone is compromised because everyone else on that route is entitled to have what their plan should be, by exceeding the provisioned ratio the system can actually reduce your bandwidth.

david64
Level 15

Hi @Doggaveli .

What is the firmware version of your VR1600 router? (At bottom of screen after you login.)

TPG used to sell a 100/40 plan but suddenly changed to 100/20. I don't know how many users were unknowingly affected or whether they received a reduced plan cost.
Bandwidth control is not used to protect the NBN network. It is used to share the available up and down bandwidth between devices on the home network, so one user doesn't hog it (see the link below). You're finding that this is already set after a factory reset. But there are other settings needed for it to take effect. You have no Controlling Rules.
You say there is no figure on the download. Either a firmware bug or it's not logical to calculate one.
Anyhow, you won't get exactly 100 Mbps down or 20 Mbps up.
You can test this. After a router reset, do several speed tests to get a feel for your normal speed. Use an ethernet computer; make sure there is no wifi device activity or Windows activity). Then turn the setting off and do more speed tests. How do they compare?

If you are worried about your NBN connection, you can check if your public ip address changes while you are doing these tests.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/557/
{Within a normal home network, the bandwidth is shared by all computers. This means any computer using high-bandwidth applications, for example torrent programs or other P2P software, will affect the other computers. This may also include negative influence on the performance of the entire network. How can we avoid this?
The answer is Bandwidth Control, which is designed to minimize the impact caused when the connection is under heavy load. Using Bandwidth Control, we can assign a specific minimum or maximum bandwidth for each computer, which means they have less interference on each other. }

orbistat
Level 8

@david64 wrote:

Bandwidth control is not used to protect the NBN network. It is used to share the available up and down bandwidth between devices on the home network, so one user doesn't hog it

Hi @david64 I'm talking about an RSP's network config (Layer 3).

Here's a quote from an RSP:

{Without bandwidth control, your modem/router may attempt to upload faster than the speed of your NBN™ plan, which will result in your connection dropping out as NBN™ will start discarding information sent across the connection.}

needforsuv
Level 3

They downgraded their home plans from 100/40 to 100/20 without changing the price (so to answer whoever asked it, NOONE new received a reduced price), and if you switched to another... well that's, yeah...

$7 cheaper wholesale price, and NONE of that being passed on to you (assuming you're content with 100/20), just like pretty much every single ISP out there. Why this hasn't been made a thing yet, I have no idea, because that is the VERY DEFINITION of ISP pocketing savings and ripping consumers off (after they said a cheaper 100- 100/20 would mean cheaper 100 for customers, which was the whole reason nbnco consulted with them to introduce 100/20 in the first place)! Because THAT is the real killer here, not a measley 1% limit.

Also, I have a standard VR1600V, and bandwidth control HAS NEVER BEEN ON! I've thrown as much stuff as I can upload at the connection and it's never been a problem!

BTW what is your MTM 'prize'? If it's HFC or FTTP, then the limit there wouldn't be needed at all, since if you connect directly to the NTD/NBN modem (black box), you should still be able to get a connection, the tpg vr1600v is only a router in that case, you DONT need it to connect.

But if it's FTTN, I'm not sure, I've never even gotten close to max adsl2+ speed at my place anyway

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/2753156#r9

Reading this, it seems to be that you are on the worst NBN there is, FTTN!
That is the only connection type where you know you're not getting the full potential of the line or an NBN connection.

I'll be surprised if you even got close to 40mbps upload before this!

u3962521
Level 2

Hi

TPG has been throttling my upload speed to 2 Mbps for over a year now.

I've repeated ask why and ask they stop and they refuse to admit but it's clear on the internet speed test that I am immediately throttled on upload.

I initially was on the 25/5 plan and they were cheating me. Giving me 10 Mbps/1 for download and upload. Then they said put me onto the 50/10 plan and I get 25/2-4 Mbps for download and upload.

A class action should be against TPG to get back millions of dollars that TPG are taking and not offering the minimum speeds

Shane

Hi @u3962521,

TPG do not throttle the connection speed on both download and upload. There are many factors causing slow connection speed that includes type/source of conte.t being downloaded, hardware and software configuration, the number of users simultaneously using the network and performance of interconnecting infrastructure not operated by TPG.

Send us a PM with your account details to better understand the situation.

How to send a PM? - https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Welcome/How-do-I-private-message-PM-in-the-community/m-p/4093

Hi

TPG has been throttling my upload speed to 2 Mbps for over a year now.

I've repeated ask why and ask they stop and they refuse to admit but it's clear on the internet speed test that I am immediately throttled on upload.

I initially was on the 25/5 plan and they were cheating me. Giving me 10 Mbps/1 for download and upload. Then they said put me onto the 50/10 plan and I get 25/2-4 Mbps for download and upload.

A class action should be against TPG to get back millions of dollars that TPG are taking and not offering the minimum speeds