TPG Community

Get online support

TPG emails and Microsoft 365

SOLVED Go to solution
neates
Level 3

I have been dealing with TPG Customer Suppport, but I think this issue needs wider consultation.

We have been TPG customers for at least 15 years, and our TPG email address is now crucial to our everyday life, including communication with many businesses.

A few years ago we signed up with an annual subscription to Office 365, with which I was familiar from work. We continued to rely on our TPG email address, even though Microsoft provided an @outlook address with Office 365. Until last week, it was possible for me to receive and reply to messages received on our tpg email account via Outlook on this computer AND on my Android phone.

It would appear that with the introduction of Microsoft 365 to replace Office 365, Microsoft has decided to freeze out "private" email addresses from their platform. As such, we can no longer access our TPG email from Outlook on the computer (unless we use Outlook 2016, which presumably will become obsolete now and thus non-functional?), and my Outlook on my Oppo phone, which is now titled "Microsoft 365" no longer delivers or sends emails.

It strikes me that this is a TPG - Microsoft issue, rather than one for me as an individual customer of both corporations to try and fight through. So here's my issues:

(1) can I again set up connection to my existing TPG email through Microsoft 365?

(2) if that can be done, can I again have use of Outlook on my Android phone?

(3) if neither (1) or (2) are feasible, how long will Outlook 2016 be functional for?

(4) and if none of the above is viable, how do I access TPG emails easily on this computer, and on my phone, if Outlook is no longer the portal to them?

Lots of questions; looking forward to some clear answers.

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
neates
Level 3

Hello again @Aubrey 

And today, just like that, my tpg emails are again visible in the Outlook inbox on my mobile phone. 

As to who made it happen - TPG? Microsoft? - I have no idea. Whether it lasts beyond the November '23 deadline set by Microsoft for axing "other" accounts in Outlook, who knows, but for now we can consider this as 'solved'. Would be interested to know, if it was solved at the TPG end, what you had to do...

regards

David

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Angeli

Hi David, 

Based on your post above, it would appear that it is Microsoft that is doing the blocking of not just TPG but other provider's email address from their outlook 365 email client. On your smartphone, personal computer or laptop, you can also try other email clients or different versions of outlook. 

Regards, 

Angeli

david64
Level 15

Hi @neates . Is this just a matter of re-adding the TPG email account to the email client on your computer and phone?

neates
Level 3

Thanks Angeli

I had contacted Microsoft yesterday, but have had no response as yet. I presume their customer service, such as it is, is all in the US. I was hoping that if this is not just happening to me, then TPG as an email provider could find out the facts on all our behalf. 

What is the process to follow to "try different versions of Outlook" on my phone? Please refer me to instructions on Youtube, information sheet, whatever.

thank you

David

neates
Level 3

Thanks @david64 for you reply. And how do I access that? That's the trouble with computer tasks you do once in a blue moon - you forget how you did it five or ten years ago...

regards

David

Angeli

Hi, 

Can you please check on https://support.tpg.com.au/email-settings ?

Let me know if it will work for you. 

Regards, 

neates
Level 3

Hi @Angeli

I checked the options available there. I think what has happened is that Microsoft has moved ahead and left TPG behind. It is no longer useful to advise us how to access Outlook 365 to add an email account - now it is a matter of accessing Microsoft 365, which isn't listed by you there - and MS 365 doesn't allow other accounts other than gmail or hotmail to be added.

This is why I would humbly submit that it is an issue for TPG to confirm with Microsoft and advise your customers accordingly, rather than one for individual customers to try and figure out as it happens to each one.

regards

David

david64
Level 15

@neates . Instructions for Outlook in Microsoft 365.

https://www.nucleustechnologies.com/blog/steps-to-configure-office-365-in-outlook-manually/

You've probably done the first part. You just want to add an additional account.

Account type is POP.

Mail server is mail.tpg.com.au for incoming and outgoing.

The article doesn't show what is in More Settings but is probably port numbers for security.

Outgoing (SMTP) port 465, security SSL/TLS.

Incoming (POP) port 995, security SSL/TLS.

neates
Level 3

thanks @david64 , will give it a go. Appreciate your help.

D

neates
Level 3

Hi @david64 

well, I tried working through the steps outlined in the website to which you referred me. 

One problem, and it's a recurring one with advice from TPG Support too - this website references the Outlook 365 format, not the new Microsoft 365 which unleashed itself on us last weekend. Consequently, the "Account settings" page (item 1 in the writer's instructions on configuring an additional account in MS Outlook) is redundant - my account page in the new Outlook accessed via Microsoft 365 looks nothing like that, and has no "File" tab to click on.

I've put the question out on the Microsoft Community Support page too, and it's telling that there has been no response from MS itself. A community member has told me that the effective closure on Outlook of my TPG account by MS is so that (as recommended by MS) I will go to an outfit called GoDaddy for access to my TPG emails. Coincidentally, GoDaddy is apparently now owned by Microsoft. Quelle surprise.

I continue to contend that this matter is one for TPG to take up on behalf of its customers, @Angeli . Why should we need to do the ferreting around to find out the truth (and sift out the conspiracy theories)? Isn't that your job? Last week, when I first contacted TPG Customer Service about email issues, I was told that I had to number my questions. In my post on here, I numbered the questions. Could I please have them answered, one by one?

regards

David