TPG Community

Get online support

Use two TPG modems for mesh / upstairs-downstairs internet

SOLVED Go to solution
MarkR
Level 2
Hi we’ve just moved into a 2-story new apartment, which has FTTP, and also three data ports downstairs.

With our new TPG modem and a few Ethernet cables it was easy to set up WiFi for most of the place, plus run devices like the tv via the data port in the loungeroom.

However, the WiFi from upstairs loses signal once it gets to the loungeroom.

Rather than by a new mesh network setup, I was hoping I could use my old TPG tpLink Modem (which was used for FTTN NBN at the old place) to boost or create an enmeshed WiFi signal for the living room and rest of downstairs.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BasilDV

Hi @MarkR

Welcome to the Community!

You may set your old TP-Link modem/router as an access point.

If you have another data port upstairs, the you may check the instructions given by @JovermarL here.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BasilDV

Hi @MarkR

Welcome to the Community!

You may set your old TP-Link modem/router as an access point.

If you have another data port upstairs, the you may check the instructions given by @JovermarL here.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

MarkR
Level 2

Thanks @BasilDV!

I followed those instructions and the old TP-Link modem now sends out a separate WiFi signal downstairs. And when I plugged the TV into one of the other LAN ports, it seems to take the main NBN signal.

The only issue i have is that there now appear to be 2-unique WiFi places (the upstairs and downstains ones), and so I need to switch WiFi on devices like phones, laptops etc, if I am moving from upstairs to down. 

Is this something I'll just have to live with - or would changing the SSID name and password on the downstairs modem to the same as the upstairs one (or something similar) resolve that?

Thanks in advance.  

BasilDV

Hi @MarkR

That is normal if you use another device as an access point.

You may try to change the name with the same to the main one, but there's a possibility that the device will not switch to the upstairs network automatically.

Some devices will stay connected to the main network if they are still getting the signal from it.

Some devices can be set to connect to the network that offers a good WiFi signal. (This depends on the capability of the device: example- Smartphone, laptop, etc.)

By the way, switching to another network is just one tap away as long as the password is already saved on your device.

BasilDV

MarkR
Level 2

Hi @BasilDV 

Another issue rising from this is that my laptop, and my partner's laptop, both will not connect to the downstairs network. We are both using macbook pros. When we try to connect to the network it comes up with a (!) symbol in the toolbar and says there is no internet. And yet, all of the other devices (TV, tablet, moblie and speakers) all connect and get signal fine.

I assume the issue has to do with the way that the laptops connect to wifi compared to how the other devices do. Can you please advise whether this is an issue that needs to be solved within the downstairs modem, or whether it is with our devices.

We have tried resetting the modem and restarting our devices.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Shane

Hi @MarkR,

I am stepping in since Basil is not available today, we do not have information what might be the issue between the mesh to your mac books but there is 2  possibility causing this issue.

Let me know how it will go and should your require further assistance.

Regards, 

Hi @BasilDV 

Another issue rising from this is that my laptop, and my partner's laptop, both will not connect to the downstairs network. We are both using macbook pros. When we try to connect to the network it comes up with a (!) symbol in the toolbar and says there is no internet. And yet, all of the other devices (TV, tablet, moblie and speakers) all connect and get signal fine.

I assume the issue has to do with the way that the laptops connect to wifi compared to how the other devices do. Can you please advise whether this is an issue that needs to be solved within the downstairs modem, or whether it is with our devices.

We have tried resetting the modem and restarting our devices.

Thanks in advance.

Mark