TPG Community

Get online support

Using HG659 with upgrade to FTTP

SOLVED Go to solution
leighwhiting
Level 2

I have had my FTTN upgraded to FTTP today.
I've recieved the email from TPG stating that my new NBN Fibre service is actitve.

I've plugged my existing TPG HG659 into the FTTP connection via the WAN port and entered my username and password in the router configuration.

The connection status on the router just stays stuck at 'Connecting'.
The Internet light on the HG659 is flashing, which seems to indicate that a connection attempt is being made at my end.

After waiting for this to resolve for perhaps an hour, TPG sent me an email and a text saying that my NBN service is installed but they can't see me online.

I've tried several combinations of username (@tpg.com.au suffix and without) to see if it will connect but no luck.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @leighwhiting . FTTP doesn't use VLAN ID, so it must be disabled in router.

From the last comment in the following thread, the HG659 can't have VLAN ID disabled.

You need a new (modern) router.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/How-can-set-VLAN-ID-in-a-TPG-supplied-modem-Huawe...

What is state of lights on FTTP box?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
david64
Level 15

Hi @leighwhiting . FTTP doesn't use VLAN ID, so it must be disabled in router.

From the last comment in the following thread, the HG659 can't have VLAN ID disabled.

You need a new (modern) router.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/How-can-set-VLAN-ID-in-a-TPG-supplied-modem-Huawe...

What is state of lights on FTTP box?

leighwhiting
Level 2

Thanks @david64, that's super helpful.
I'd looked around at various threads on the HG659 but hadn't found that one.

So TPG's own firmware prevents you from using their supplied router with FTTP? That's a bit frustrating Smiley Frustrated

Light's on my FTTP box are blinking LED for 'Optical' and solid LED for 'UNI-D 1'.

I've got a voice plan with TPG and the phone handset works fine into the 'UNI-V 1' port as well, so it definitely seems like a router issue, not an installation issue.