TPG Community

Get online support

Using Telstra Smart Modem with TPG

LucyJuler
Level 2
Hoping someone can please help. Our TPG modem has stopped working so they are sending a new one which won't be here until next week. I have borrowed a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 and wondering if anybody can explain if there is a way to set it up with my TPG service using a Mac? Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6
david64
Level 15

Hi @LucyJuler . What type of NBN connection do you have?

Are you on bundled NBN/VOIP plan or a BYO data-only plan?

LucyJuler
Level 2
I'm not entirely sure! It's NBN with a TPG modem. It may have included VoIP that we don't use? It's the 69.99 deal for unlimited internet if that helps?
david64
Level 15

@LucyJuler . If your TPG router connected directly to a telephone wall socket, you have FTTB or FTTN. 

A small black NBN box means HFC. A small white NBN box means FTTC. A bundled NBN/VOIP plan with these 4 connection types need VLAN ID setting which is not available on Gen2 router.

The other connection type is FTTP. With this type or a BYO data-only plan, the Gen2 should be suitable.

Do factory reset. Settings are PPPoE, username  + @tpg.com.au and password.

Any brand-name router would be better in short term.

LucyJuler
Level 2
The modem plugs directly into a telephone wall socket and yes I believe it is FTTN. Will this work? If so, do you know how to reset it with a macbook? I have tried but I don't really understand what I'm doing, am probably putting the wrong info in the wrong boxes, and when it can't connect it says PPPoE not found?
david64
Level 15

@LucyJuler . Another post in Community says the Gen2 doesn't support VLAN ID setting so it won't work with FTTN.

(To reset, push a paper clip in the hole next to USB socket for 10 seconds. 

In the menu system, select Broadband, Connection Settings. Type=PPPoE.)

Regarding the TPG router that stopped working, was it total failure or partial? Like, maybe, just the wifi stopped working?

LucyJuler
Level 2
Thanks so much for your help @david64, I will have a try tomorrow Happy! Happy Christmas!