TPG Community

Get online support

VDSL Configuration

UJ2021
Level 2

I want to change my current VDSL Modem/Router and installed a devices which got firewall. The new devices got PPOE configuration point. I have already provided my user name and password at there but i am still not getting the WAN link up. 

Can you please advise what information from my TPG connection that I have to use? I have use the user name and password that I currently use to login to TPG Internet. Yesterday I check with this forum and i was told that, the credentials used in the Modem/Router is same as the Internet Login. 

How do i Know which VLAN is used in current Modem Router? 

My current Modem/Router is Huawei HG659 and I am going to use SOPHOS XG115. 

An early answer and guidance is highly appreciated. 

12 REPLIES 12
david64
Level 15

Hi @UJ2021 .

Setup details are: PPPoE, username with @tpg.com.au added and password (the one used for Post Office and My Account login), and VLAN ID=2.
You need to check the Sophos XG115 manual or web site. Sophos also has a community web site which has info on this. The vlan id is added to the WAN interface, not LAN interface.

UJ2021
Level 2

Hi David

Thanks for the info. I have tried the said all info (username@tpg.com.au and pw with VLAND ID=2 on the WAN interface). However the connection is not getting established. 

Attached in the interface info that i see on SOPHOS and current router. 

david64
Level 15

@UJ2021 . What type of NBN box do you have?

The IPv4 config screen seems simple enough. When you select PPPoE, is the gateway name field already set to VDSL?

I'm wondering if you have to define the purpose of each of the ports. There is a WAN zone and LAN zone.

You may need to contact Sophos.

UJ2021
Level 2

Hi David64

I am using FTTN NBN connection, that means it is pretty much same as ADSL2+, the last mile is copper and RJ11 cable connects to the modem/router (in this case HG659 of Sophos XG115). 

The gateway field name is blank and it is not a mandatory field in XG115. I suspect that it would have set by default in the HG659 (modem/router) because it was provided by TPG. 

I have already reached out to Sophos community too. 

david64
Level 15

@UJ2021 . How do you intend to use the XG115? As you say, the HG659 plugs into the wall socket. The XG115 has no RJ11 socket so it has to plug into something else.

Looking at the group of 4 ethernet ports, the first port (1) is labelled LAN so it would connect to a switch to give multiple ethernet devices. Port 2 is labelled WAN so this might be where the XG115 would connect to a NBN box, if there was one. Otherwise, it may connect to a LAN port on HG659.

There is an optional module: SFP DSL Modem which might replace the HG659.

UJ2021
Level 2

@david64

I am using SOPHOS SFP module along with XG115. When I purchased the XG115, i was told by the supplier that SFP module will help to connect the RJ11 connection that brings the NBN FTTN connection (aka VDSL or similar to ADSL2+) to the XG115. 

XG115 got a special slot where we have to plug the SFP module. Then it takes over the physical PORT 4 from the XG115 to work with SFP module

david64
Level 15

@UJ2021 . You've been able to connect your computer to XG115 to try some configuration.

Have you been reading the help info? 

https://docs.sophos.com/nsg/sophos-firewall/18.5/Help/en-us/webhelp/onlinehelp/index.html

These are some things to try:

Deploy in gateway mode
SFP module is port 4. Any documentation on the module? Or is it treated same as a built-in port?
Edit physical interface : port 4 is PPPoE; zone is WAN
Add a VLAN interface: port 4, zone WAN, VLAN ID 2, IP assignment DHCP

You may still need to set up rules and policies to allow traffic between the WAN zone (port 4) and the LAN zone (port 1). Unless by default, there are no restrictions.

UJ2021
Level 2

@david64 

Thanks David, I have tried all things that you have mentioned. 

There is a small manual came with SFP module, which basically talks about the mounting instructions and basic operations (LED meanings)

The XG115 takes the physical port 4 as soon as the SFP module is plugged in. 

Yes I have edited physical interface : port 4 is PPPoE; zone is WAN. I have also provided credentials. I didnt select the DSL settings under PPPoE (that's where we have to select VDSL and VLAN ID for the ISP)

I also have added a VLAN interface: port 4, zone WAN, VLAN ID 2, IP assignment DHCP

Still it is not establishing the connection. 

david64
Level 15

@UJ2021 . There might be something in the system logs.