TPG Community

Get online support

VPN IP Phone - One Way Audio on TPG NBN

captlhou
Level 2

HI,

Issue: One way audio on VPN IP Phone.

Description:

The VPN IP Phone is connected successfully on the internet as it was able to connect to the VPN.

A call is successfully connected internally and externally.

However, the issue of one way audio is when a call is coming from an external number or calling an external number (e.g. mobile number). The receiver of the VPN IP Phone cannot hear anything but the other end receiver able to hear the voice coming from the VPN IP Phone.

Port Forwarding has been tried. DMZ has been tried. But, the issue is still the same.

The confusing part here is that, I have a colleague that is also with TPG NBN and now have the same modem that I have, is NOT encountering the issue.

Is it possible to verify or check from TPG side if any ports is getting blocked from my service address? or to check if there's any configuration that needs to be done from TPG's end to resolve this issue?

Additional notes:

- This is not the normal phone at home. This is a VPN IP Phone.

- Contacted the manufacturer of the modem (TP-Link) but didn't resolve the issue.

- Contacted the internal network and cisco engineers in the office but still have the issue. They said that the modem is working (tested the VPN Phone as well) with Telstra and iiNet when they tested it.

- TPG replaced my modem as well as part of the restart issue but still have the one way audio issue.

Thank you.

Regards,

Louie

24 REPLIES 24
BasilDV

Hi @captlhou,

Welcome to TPG Community!

TPG don't block any ports on the network or on an specific service address.

As the service and modem has been tested and confirmed working, you might need to check further with your VPN provider if there's anything that they are missing when checking your service.

Customers are free to purchase or have their own VPN provider, however, support for non TPG service is limited as it is not possible for us to have an updated knowledge of their system.

Should you require further assistance, please let us know.

Have a great day.

BasilDV

2fly
Level 5

Hi @captlhou

"The confusing part here is that, 
I have a colleague that is also with TPG NBN 
and now have the same modem that I have, 
is NOT encountering the issue."

If this is true.

Have you tried to check the VPN IP Phone handset it self?

captlhou
Level 2

Hi @2fly,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I did check the VPN IP Phone Handset. I even tried using the speaker of the phone but still having the issue.

It is not the phone as the exact phone that I am using is the one that I have tested in my colleagues house.

Regards,

Louie

captlhou
Level 2

Hi @BasilDV,

Thank you for your reply.

VPN connection is not an issue. The phone can connect to the VPN successfully.

It can even make a call but the issue is happening only when the call is connecting to an external number.

I will give your feedback to our support team to give them some updates.

Regards,

Louie

captlhou
Level 2

Hi All,

I just have an update from our engineering team who is working with TPG engineering team as well.

TPG admitted that the FTTP infrastructure seems to be the issue where the incoming call is not allowed.

Can someone from TPG contact me so that we can discuss the issue and the next steps or other options for this issue?

Thank you.

Regards,

captlhou

Will

Hi @captlhou

Thank you for getting back to us with this information.

Unfortunately, we don't have any records pertaining to what you have relayed. Would you be able to provide us any reference number of the conversation or ticket where your own Engineering team has contacted TPG Engineering Team about the case? This would help us understand how we can go about your request.

Regards,

captlhou
Level 2
Currently getting the reference number from our engineering team.

I will update as soon as I get that.

Thanks for your reply.
Will

Hi @captlhou

Once you get hold of the reference number, please send it to us via PM for security purposes. For your reference: How do I private message (PM) in the community

We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Will

Hi @captlhou

We were able to receive your test PM just fine. Let us know once you have the reference number.

Regards,