TPG Community

Get online support

Wifi Dropouts - Multiple Routers/APs 2.4/5G Wifi

dracupg
Level 2

Hi,

I have a 3 story house (it sounds large, but it isn't really!) with a wifi router on each floor physically cabled with Cat6e. The top 2 routers support 5G, but the bottom one doesn't. I have configured all the routers to use the same SSID, including 2.4 and 5G SSIDs so in theory there is one SSID in the house with 5 connections (3x2.4G and 2x5G) The top floor router is the TPG supplied Archer VR1600. The middle is an Archer C7 and the bottom is a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2.

Since activating 5G on the top 2 routers, I get continual dropouts on multiple devices, especially when roaming between floors. I really don't understand why this just doesn't work. My options seem to be to create a different SSID for the 5G connections, or to dissable the 5G on the top 2 routers, both of which seem like dumb ideas as the device should be able to make use of whatever the best option is available.

A further complication is that the main VR1600 that connects to the NBN modem (we are on HFC NBN) doesn't seem to be showing all the connected devices. I realise that the devices wifi attched to the other 2 routers will get their MAC addresses changed, but even given that there seems to be a lot of missing active devices not showing on the VR1600. Thinking there may be an issue with the VR1600 as it is still on the original firmware 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200810 Rel.53181n?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. my partner works from home full time (as a lot of us do now), and having an unstable wifi connection is a real pain.

1 REPLY 1
david64
Level 15

Hi @dracupg . VR1600 is on latest firmware (build 200810).

On the C7 and Buffalo, did you give them different ip addresses from the default on VR1600 and disable DHCP? Are the C7 and Buffalo each connected directly to VR1600, ie. not daisy-chained?

For the 2.4G band, give it a different name from the 5G band, but use different channels: 1, 6, 11. As you move between floors, the device will synch to the strongest signal, and they won't interfere. Apparently.

For 5G band, do the same.

You can use the following command on a Windows laptop with wifi to check signal strengths of your wifi network and surrounding ones:

netsh wlan show all

Following might be useful:

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Easy-Steps-to-Improve-Wi-Fi-Connection-In-Your-Hom...

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Wireless-Channel-on-your-modem-what-is-it-and-why...