TPG Community

Get online support

Windows Live Mail POP3 account 0x800CCC0F error when sending mail

SOLVED Go to solution
AprilMay
Level 3

I am using Windows Live Mail to access a POP3 account from TPG. All of a sudden it stopped working. I haven't changed anything, but it happened around the time of the email service migration to the Messaging Company.

Somehow, I managed to get the receiving mail service working again, but am unable to send mail from within Windows Live Mail. Can still use webmail and also send and receive emails through the Gmail app on my phone.

My current outgoing server settings in Windows Live Mail are:

Outgoing mail (SMTP): www.tpg.com.au

Logon using clear authentication

My server requires authentication

Outgoing mail port (SMTP): 465

This server requires a secure connection (SSL)

I've read and tried the solutions found on the Internet for similar questions but nothing helped. I am still getting the "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection" 0x800CCC0F error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

@AprilMay . My mistake; OST file relates to Outlook.

I was using Windows Live Mail version 2011 until 21st Sep when TPG removed TLS 1.0 and 1.1 from the mail server. I switched to Thunderbird which supports TLS 1.2.

Around 17th Oct, I ran WLM to check some old emails and it downloaded the built-up emails of the last 4 weeks. So, the TLS 1.0 has been reinstated some time before. It ran just like it always had.

I see what's wrong. TPG has reinstated TLS 1.0 only for POP3 (receiving) side. You can receive but not send.

@Shane @BasilDV . Can you ask the Postmaster if it was intentional to reinstate TLS 1.0 and 1.1 only for the receiving side? This only allows old version clients to receive but not send.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
david64
Level 15

Hi @AprilMay . Your config has the correct server name although it is wrong in the text above.

The only other setting for the outgoing is "Use same settings as incoming mail server" referring to username and password and clear text authentication.

Search on internet mentions firewall settings or trying to fix OST file.

Regarding transfer to TMC, users are supposed to be notified when the transfer occurs.

AprilMay
Level 3

Thank you, @david64

I have tried the option of using the same settings for the outgoing server as the incoming server. It didn't help.

I haven't changed my firewall settings or done anything to the .OST file.

I don't know if email services have been transferred to TMC, but I am now accessing my webmail through their website (however, it has the TPG logo too).

CORRECTION: Just checked, and the webmail website address is still a TPG address.

david64
Level 15

@AprilMay . My mistake; OST file relates to Outlook.

I was using Windows Live Mail version 2011 until 21st Sep when TPG removed TLS 1.0 and 1.1 from the mail server. I switched to Thunderbird which supports TLS 1.2.

Around 17th Oct, I ran WLM to check some old emails and it downloaded the built-up emails of the last 4 weeks. So, the TLS 1.0 has been reinstated some time before. It ran just like it always had.

I see what's wrong. TPG has reinstated TLS 1.0 only for POP3 (receiving) side. You can receive but not send.

@Shane @BasilDV . Can you ask the Postmaster if it was intentional to reinstate TLS 1.0 and 1.1 only for the receiving side? This only allows old version clients to receive but not send.

Shane

Hi @AprilMay ,

Let us help coordinate this with our postmaster and see what we can do to fix the issues with sending emails. Could you flick me a message with your details?

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

david64
Level 15

@Shane . What is required is what I said in my previous post. TLS 1.0 has not been reinstated for SMTP part of mail server. Depending on how the support teams are structured, it might not be a job for Postmaster but for the mail server operating system admins.

I asked about this on 18th Oct.

Shane

Hi @david64,

We need the account details as a reference so we can raise them with the postmaster along with the information mentioned in this thread.

Regards,

@Shane . What is required is what I said in my previous post. TLS 1.0 has not been reinstated for SMTP part of mail server. Depending on how the support teams are structured, it might not be a job for Postmaster but for the mail server operating system admins.

I asked about this on 18th Oct.

AprilMay
Level 3

Hi @Shane 

I have sent you a PM.

KInd Regards

Shane

Hi @AprilMay ,

I did not receive any messages. Can you resend another PM?

Regards,

Hi @Shane

I have sent you a PM.

KInd Regards

AprilMay
Level 3

@Shane That is strange. I have a copy in my Sent folder.

I have just tried resending it, but keep getting the below error message. I don't see any HTML code or highlighted errors in my message.

I often get similiar error messages when trying to post in the thread, but then the second posting attempt usually succeeds.

Correct the highlighted errors and try again.

• Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and send the message when you are satisfied.