TPG Community

Get online support

Wireless Broadband

ErickTreetops
Level 2

I've been sent a wireless modem router to try out and see if i want to replace my NBN HFC.  I currently have 3 items wired into my ASUS RT-AC68U.   TV, xbox and network drive via usb.   The wifi model i was sent is a "Wifi Cube 3 4G".

1.  Why does it say 4G when its meant for a 5G network.

2.  There aren't enough wired ports on this mode.  I have TV, Xbox and network drive (via usb) connected to my ASUS RT-AC68U.  Do you have wireless modem that can also do this ?

5 REPLIES 5
BasilDV

Hi @ErickTreetops

We'd like to confirm the service you have with us and provide correct information.

Shoot me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number.

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

Hi @ErickTreetops . If you need more ports on whatever wireless router you get, you can connect a basic 5 port switch to the router's LAN port. If the wireless router has no USB port, you might be able to connect the external drive to a USB/ethernet adapter. This might change the Windows config for the drive.

ErickTreetops
Level 2
I thought about connecting the cube to my Asus Wi-Fi router and the turning Wi-Fi off on the cube. The problem was when I tried to log into the cubes web interface. 192.186.1.1. All I kept getting was my Asus interface.
david64
Level 15

@ErickTreetops . Login to Asus and change its LAN ip address to 192.168.1.2 and save it. The browser session ends. Login to Asus with new address, disable DHCP and save it. Connect Asus LAN port to other router's LAN port. You can connect to the admin of either router using its own address.

An alternative: Asus has access point mode.

Go to Advanced Settings, Administration, Operation Mode. Select Access Point mode and Apply.

In this mode, try connecting from Asus WAN port to other router's LAN port.

Login to other router to find the ip address of Asus router.You might be able to assign a fixed ip address to Asus.

ErickTreetops
Level 2

I'm quickly failing to see any benefit to switching to wireless. 

Having to reconfigure my Asus router is not something I am familiar doing.

If something goes wrong, I’m stuck without the internet  

And if I do succeed and get it working and decide wireless isn't for me, I then have to remember how to undo it all.

When I first connected my Asus router to the NBN I had to change one thing. My connection has been rock solid.  Which is what I need to work from home remotely.

I don't think TPG have thought this wireless broadband through.  Customers coming from the NBN will all have their own router.  TPG have no way of knowing what their home network setup is.  So, the Cube's one size fits all network setup isn't going to meet all the customer's needs.   

TPG would have been better off to just replace the NBN box with their wireless box.  So, customers just need to unplug their WAN Ethernet cable from the NBN box and plug it into the Cube. 

When I was contacted by TPG sales to see if I wanted to swap to wireless broadband this is precisely what I was told is all I had to do.