TPG Community

Get online support

abnormal high ping on FTTB network

jasonxiec137
Level 3

Current Plan: FTTB M Bundle

Issue

Abnormal high ping with my TPG FTTB network, started around 20:00PM 29/08/2019.

My normal ping value is about 16ms to tpg.com.au and other local addresses in Sydney with 0 packet loss. Current abnormal high ping time varies from 80ms to 130ms with 2% pack losses when I ping tpg.com.au and other local addresses in Sydney. Restarted my router and I can guarantee there is nothing wrong on my side. Never had this issue before, please solve this issue ASAP.

Attached file is a WINMTR test result recorded at 9:30PM 29/08/2019.ping.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
Shane

Hi @jasonxiec137,

Thanks for raising this to us. We'd like to arrange a call from one of our Technicians for real-time testing and further investigation. We'd like to get your best contact number and preferred time tomorrow.

In case you need a reference: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Cheers!

jasonxiec137
Level 3

Hi

The abnormal high ping dropped to the normal value 2 hours later. Did TPG have any FTTB network maintenance in that duration?

Koichik
Level 2
I have this same problem!!
BasilDV

Hi @jasonxiec137,

Glad to know that the ping is back to normal.

There's no reported issues or maintenance last Thursday that may have caused the latency, but keep observing your connection and get back to us once the issue persists.

Hi @Koichik,

We were able to locate your account using your community details and understand that the case was escalated to our Engineers.

Based on the ticket, you are getting a good speed based on the speed test, but the latency issue randomly appears while playing your game. They'll be waiting for your email with the result of the additional tests that they require.

Further updates will be given by your assigned Engineer.

Regards,

BasilDV

Koichik
Level 2
Okay, I will run the tests when the next lag spike occurs.

Cheers
Darcy
Level 2

This is currently happening to me on a TPG FTTB connection. Only during the evenings past 7 PM the ping in games is 100+ and throughput has dropped to 60/3 speeds from 94/38.

This is obviously congestion and I really hope you guys sort this out ASAP.

EDIT:

I am currently in Redfern and this is my speedtest as of right now.

We've been with TPG FTTB for a couple of years now and never had any issues before this.

EDIT 10:12 PM 1/9/2019

I did a ping to google 100 times and this is the result.

Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 99, Lost = 1 (1% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 53ms, Maximum = 91ms, Average = 70ms

Earlier I was on 130 ping at about 9:30 PM so it's going down slowly now. Please fix this, if TPG is having congestion on FTTB I will not hesitate to migrate to NBN when it arrives. (Which I know most ISPs on NBN have congestion issues but latency is a huge deal for me and there is one ISP which has a good reputation for peak time latency/speed.)

BasilDV

Hi @Darcy,

Welcome to TPG Community!

We'd like to look into it to understand the situation.

Since it is happening in peak hours, we'll arrange a call from our Tech team for real time testing.

We've tried to locate your account using your community details to no avail.

Please send me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number along with your preferred time and best number to be contacted.

How to send a PM? Click here.

Regards,

BasilDV