TPG Community

Get online support

email Setup failed

hsun01
Level 2

Dear Sir/Mdm

When I tried to setup tpg email account in Outlook 2016, the wrong message always comes up as "We couldn't connect to the outgoing server(SMTP). Please help me to solve this problem so that I can setup my email account in Outlook. Thanks

Hang Sun 

8 REPLIES 8
Shane

Hi,

Could you please confirm the current e-mail settings? Could you try to these settings below.

• Outgoing and Incoming Mail Server (Smtp) mail.tpg.com.au / 25
  • STARTTLS
  • Requires Authentication.

Regards,

Dear Sir/Mdm

When I tried to setup tpg email account in Outlook 2016, the wrong message always comes up as "We couldn't connect to the outgoing server(SMTP). Please help me to solve this problem so that I can setup my email account in Outlook. Thanks

Hang Sun 

hsun01
Level 2

Hi Shane

I tried your advice and put

mail.tpg.com.au in both incoming and outgoing server fields.

incoming port  110

outgoing port 25

encryption method  starttls

ticked Require Logon using SPA

But the error message still comes up as We couldn't connect to the outgoing server (SMTP). Please check the outgoing (SMTP) server settings and try again.

Please help. Thanks

BasilDV

Hi @hsun01

We'd like to look into it further.

Shoot me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number along with the TPG email you are trying to set up.

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

Hi @hsun01 . Turn off the SPA setting. There should be another option something like plain text password. 

There is also another setting for message authentication; enable it. It is separate from Logon setting.

sysclear
Level 2

I have the same problem. Was this issue resolved?

I can send emails over tpg postoffice website and on my iPhone, but Outlook now can't send after working fine for years (and can still receive).

I get the following error in Outlook:

Task 'sysclear - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) email server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

david64
Level 15

Hi @sysclear .  Of course, no-one posted back any results on this problem.

What are your sending settings: server name, port number, security setting, authentication?

Microsoft has articles on how to use detailed logging in Outlook: starting and stopping, location of logging files, and function. The SMTP logging file will have useful info on this problem.

Or, send email to postmaster@tpg.com.au giving details, your username and date, time.

sysclear
Level 2

Thanks @david64 for your reply it spurred me to carry on (after several frustrating calls to TPG).

I took another look at the ports. TPG advised the following settings for POP Account:

incoming 110

outgoing 25

However, I've determined that settings for my situation need to be :

incoming 110

outgoing 465

also that the following settings are required:

Encryption method = SSL/TLS

My outgoing SMTP server require authentication = ticked,

and option = "Use same settings as my incoming mail server"

This has been determine by trial and error. It works for me and hopefully helps others.

Now I just need to research what the security settings should be. Any pointers would be appreciated.

david64
Level 15

@sysclear . When I said security, I meant encryption, which you have done correctly for  sending.

For receiving, you can change port 110 to port 995 and use SSL/TLS.