TPG Community

Get online support

geolocation resolves to wrong location

Shane

Hi @sambotron2k,

Please re-log in your community and re-open the browser. Let me know if its still the same.

Regards,

Thanks Shane,

Interestingly when I click your name, no "send a message" option pops up.

Refer attached screenshot.

Thanks, Sam.

benheather
Level 2

@Shane 

Hey, I'm having the same issue, being in Adelaide and apparently in VIC.. I cant send you a private message as the button isn't there, I've tried logging out and closing the browser. No luck to be able to PM you

Shane

Hi @benheather,

Thanks for raising this to us. Please try again and check if there will be a message button on my profile then send me your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file).

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

@Shane 

Hey, I'm having the same issue, being in Adelaide and apparently in VIC.. I cant send you a private message as the button isn't there, I've tried logging out and closing the browser. No luck to be able to PM you

sambotron2k
Level 2

Still no correction on this situation.  Any feedback on timing to fix.  Honestly looking at other provider options to provide NBN if it solves this problem, but on the flip side I have no idea if a provier change will fix since it's the same infrastrucuture.  Thanks, Sam.

Ahra_G

Hi @sambotron2k

If you are getting a different IP address or location, this has something to do with the 'geolocation' and it's powered by third-party databases. The location information is usually a close approximation, but isn't 100% accurate all the time

Depending on a number of factors, the results from their database may be very accurate or quite wrong.

If your location is displaying incorrectly, the quickest way to correct the issue is to change your location settings with the content provider (the website or app).

Furthermore, ISPs route all their traffic to a fairly central location before it reaches the public internet. As such, regardless of where you are actually located, your internet traffic will appear to be coming from the location of the ISP's exit point. 

Should you require further assistance, you may reach out to us again or you may check out our self-help options located here: http://tpg.com.au/support

To help manage your TPG services on the go, you may download our TPG Mobile App on this link: tpg.com.au/services/tpg-app

Regards,

Ahra_G

ManlyElectronic
Level 2

I guess you are talking about Google geolocation, because that defines advertisements. To check that, start Google Maps and click the location icon.

I noted location changes sometimes depending on who uses WiFi on an NBN account. For example, I live in Sydney Northern Beaches. A house mate who used WiFi most travelled to Melbourne. The Sydney NBN geolocation moved to .. Sydney airport and got stuck there!

I guess Google defines location from ISP, IP blocks as well as devices with GPS trackers, such as mobile phones, iPads, iMacs, Microsoft Surfaces etc and matches them with modem and IP. The trouble for Google is that most PCs do not have GPS. It is a mystery what triggers changes when multiple users are in the house. Who is the location identifier - a user who uses mobile with GPS more or the one who uses NBN most or it is everaged in the group ?

My suggestion, try to login to a Google account on your mobile, make sure Location is on, connect to WiFi and keep keep it for few days.

gayleandjim
Level 3

@ManlyElectronic wrote:

I guess you are talking about Google geolocation, because that defines advertisements. To check that, start Google Maps and click the location icon.

I noted location changes sometimes depending on who uses WiFi on an NBN account. For example, I live in Sydney Northern Beaches. A house mate who used WiFi most travelled to Melbourne. The Sydney NBN geolocation moved to .. Sydney airport and got stuck there!

I guess Google defines location from ISP, IP blocks as well as devices with GPS trackers, such as mobile phones, iPads, iMacs, Microsoft Surfaces etc and matches them with modem and IP. The trouble for Google is that most PCs do not have GPS. It is a mystery what triggers changes when multiple users are in the house. Who is the location identifier - a user who uses mobile with GPS more or the one who uses NBN most or it is everaged in the group ?

My suggestion, try to login to a Google account on your mobile, make sure Location is on, connect to WiFi and keep keep it for few days.

Thanks for your response.

I think you may have missed the point of my, and it would seem several other users. The geolocation issue is occurring on tv sets and other household equipment which are stationary devices presumably logged into a home wifi setup. Changing mobile settings on our phones is largely not going to satisfy the issue. The problem is indicated by, in my circumstances, any streamed tv services such as 7+ or 9now presenting advertisements which are Adelaide based when I live in Victoria. While this is very much a problem of the 21st Century, I fear that community service pronouncements in times of emergency will also be geographically based in Adelaide which will not be satisfactory in warning me of local incidences. The issue appears to be based in where TPG centralises its internet access for different users as shown by other users in Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney, Tassie and Melbourne - its not my problem alone and it is a TPG issue to resolve.

thanks again for taking the time to look for a solution for us.

cheers,

Jim

ManlyElectronic
Level 2

No, I have not missed the point. Your question does not mention specific devices: ‘All geolocation services appear to resolve my IP address to..’.
Sure people will give nonspecific answers to that. Nevertheless my suggestion stands - check locations on mobile devices with GPS trackers while connected to your WiFi and Ethernet.
It is not clear whether you tried to self locate on a mobile phone map.
It is not clear whether all devices' location is wrong or just some or all stationary devices without GPS.

dianneforster
Level 2

Username is dxxxxxxxxx.

Address is XX Gladstone Street XXXXXXXXX and the account number is 49XXXXX.

I have done everything I can on my end to understand why my location in Google Maps shows as Adelaide when I am in Surrey Hills, VIC.  This happens only on my iMac PC even if I have my VPN off. I have re-booted, my IOS is up to date, I have re-booted the modem and the router without results. 

When I open Google Maps it either immediately shows me in Canberra or it shows me at the correct address but when I look for directions to any destination in Victoria, it starts me from Canberra. 

Please advise why this is happening and what I can do. Thank you.

Ahra_G

Hi @dianneforster

As we've advised on this thread, if you are getting a different IP address or location, this has something to do with the 'geolocation' and it's powered by third-party databases. The location information is usually a close approximation, but isn't 100% accurate all the time. Depending on a number of factors, the results from their database may be very accurate or quite wrong.

If your location is displaying incorrectly, the quickest way to correct the issue is to change your location settings with the content provider (the website or app).

Furthermore, ISPs route all their traffic to a fairly central location before it reaches the public internet. As such, regardless of where you are actually located, your internet traffic will appear to be coming from the location of the ISP's exit point.

Let us know if that helps. 

Note: We've modified your post for your privacy and security as it contains your account information. 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G