TPG Community

Get online support

Dialling extra digits over Voip

jbeagle
Level 3

@joba3169

Received your email/message just now.

I'm still 'rusty' on the use of TPG Community and pleased that someone has communicated at last re the issue I've had because all has been rather silent since the 'fix' was applied back on the 28th April.

What a time to strike an issue like this at the beginning of COVID?

Thank you for your contact and I trust that this info will be sufficient for your needs.

I can continue to use this media or feel welcome to use my email address.

jbeagle

ronb
Level 2

@jbeagle wrote:

@joba3169

Received your email/message just now.

I'm still 'rusty' on the use of TPG Community and pleased that someone has communicated at last re the issue I've had because all has been rather silent since the 'fix' was applied back on the 28th April.

What a time to strike an issue like this at the beginning of COVID?

Thank you for your contact and I trust that this info will be sufficient for your needs.

I can continue to use this media or feel welcome to use my email address.

jbeagle

I have exactly the same problem. Since getting the NBN we cannot reply to callers at our front gate. On answering we are required to press * (below 7) and the gate should open - but it doesn't!

We have purchased a new NBN compatible phone, spoken to the gate eqipment installer, TPG, our estate manager, but no-one can solve it. Looks like I now need to go back to TPG and insist that it is their problem.

Have they actually solved anybody's problem?

ronb
Level 2

@jbeagle wrote:

UPDATE

Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 6:08 pm

THE ‘FIX’ ?

Please be advised that your DTMF issue has been resolved by doing route change on your line.

If you wish to share this to the TPG Community, please let the people know that if they are experiencing the same issue they need to report it to TPG with the following information:

A Number: Number of the security gate
B Number: Your TPG home phone number
Time and Date of failed calls: Make sure it is made within 48 hours
Symptoms: Exact detail of failed call. For example on your case, "We press 24# at the gate and it will dial our home phone number. Once call is answered at home we will now  press 1 to open the gate but nothing happens we can only hear peep and squeak sound on his end at the gate."

Based from the history of other DTMF issues we received, it appears there is no standard workaround that is being implemented as our Voice Engineers are implementing routing via dialogic transcoders that may need individual re-routes.

Regards,

Iza | ADSL Faults | UserID: 13214
T 13 14 23 | F 02 9850 0813
www.tpg.com.au

My Reply to ADSL Faults

Thank you for the ‘fix’ you have applied to my Security Gate access and getting back with detail that I can add to my case with TPG Community. In my working career of 38 years as a Telecommunication Technical Officer with PMG, Telecom and Telstra, I could not possibly see this as a ‘fix’ and at best it would be viewed as a ‘patch’.

I am sure you are aware that digits sent from phones are Dual Tone Multi Frequency (DTMF) and are two tones combined, unique for each digit, but all tones remain within the voice frequency band. How your VOIP technology is designed to reject or distort these signals, as in my case, is really beyond me. 

I don’t see this ‘fix’ as applying to any other situation like I had with a Call Back from Qantas on March 20 (being the initial trigger for this issue) when I was unable to respond to that call when selecting Option 1. I had already waited 3 hours for that Call Back, needless to say, the next Call Back was setup on my mobile!

My VOIP service worked fine for 8 months since installation up until March 20. Now the only time I can send digits successfully from my home phone after the call is established appears to be, like Qantas, or other services operating with menu options for you to choose a specific area/department?

Calls to or from other services over this VOIP network, PSTN or Mobile, will not receive clear DTMF signals on an established call from my home phone, however receive them OK from the far end?

I request that this Ticket #10385869 remain open and be escalated to the highest level within TPG Support so it might be investigated more thoroughly to finality.

Please reply on receipt of this email.

Thank you.

Regards

For those of you reading this post with a greater knowledge of TPG's VOIP Technology are invited to please reply back and/or pass on to TPG Support a solution that really addresses this issue. Thank you. jbeagle

@jbeagle wrote:

UPDATE

Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 6:08 pm

THE ‘FIX’ ?

Please be advised that your DTMF issue has been resolved by doing route change on your line.

If you wish to share this to the TPG Community, please let the people know that if they are experiencing the same issue they need to report it to TPG with the following information:

A Number: Number of the security gate
B Number: Your TPG home phone number
Time and Date of failed calls: Make sure it is made within 48 hours
Symptoms: Exact detail of failed call. For example on your case, "We press 24# at the gate and it will dial our home phone number. Once call is answered at home we will now  press 1 to open the gate but nothing happens we can only hear peep and squeak sound on his end at the gate."

Based from the history of other DTMF issues we received, it appears there is no standard workaround that is being implemented as our Voice Engineers are implementing routing via dialogic transcoders that may need individual re-routes.

Regards,

Iza | ADSL Faults | UserID: 13214
T 13 14 23 | F 02 9850 0813
www.tpg.com.au

My Reply to ADSL Faults

Thank you for the ‘fix’ you have applied to my Security Gate access and getting back with detail that I can add to my case with TPG Community. In my working career of 38 years as a Telecommunication Technical Officer with PMG, Telecom and Telstra, I could not possibly see this as a ‘fix’ and at best it would be viewed as a ‘patch’.

I am sure you are aware that digits sent from phones are Dual Tone Multi Frequency (DTMF) and are two tones combined, unique for each digit, but all tones remain within the voice frequency band. How your VOIP technology is designed to reject or distort these signals, as in my case, is really beyond me. 

I don’t see this ‘fix’ as applying to any other situation like I had with a Call Back from Qantas on March 20 (being the initial trigger for this issue) when I was unable to respond to that call when selecting Option 1. I had already waited 3 hours for that Call Back, needless to say, the next Call Back was setup on my mobile!

My VOIP service worked fine for 8 months since installation up until March 20. Now the only time I can send digits successfully from my home phone after the call is established appears to be, like Qantas, or other services operating with menu options for you to choose a specific area/department?

Calls to or from other services over this VOIP network, PSTN or Mobile, will not receive clear DTMF signals on an established call from my home phone, however receive them OK from the far end?

I request that this Ticket #10385869 remain open and be escalated to the highest level within TPG Support so it might be investigated more thoroughly to finality.

Please reply on receipt of this email.

Thank you.

Regards

For those of you reading this post with a greater knowledge of TPG's VOIP Technology are invited to please reply back and/or pass on to TPG Support a solution that really addresses this issue. Thank you. jbeagle

I have exactly the same problem since switching to NBN/TPG, our gate code asterix is not accepted, nor can I choose "Option 1.., Option 2..etc from an incoming call.

I have called TPG who have no knowledge of this "never heard of it" "must be a third party problem", and even gave me the direct number for NBN who wouldn't of course deal with me direct.

Has your problem been solved? We cannot admit visitors until the problem is fixed. Help!

BasilDV

Hi @ronb

We'd like to look into your account for better understanding of the situation.

Please send me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number to assist you accordingly.

BasilDV

ronb
Level 2

G'day BasilDV

I should have mentioned that I purchased a new phone but made no difference, and borrowed another resident's phone (which opens the gate on Telstra NBN), and reset the modem, so I have tried everything I can think of. Over to you.

BasilDV

Hi @ronb

The case has been escalated to our Engineering team and updates will be given via phone call within 24 to 48 hours as soon as it becomes available.

BasilDv

joba3169
Level 2
Hi BasilDV and everyone else on this feed, it appears TPG actually escalated this issue and finally took it seriously! They've managed to fix the issue and DTMF works for incoming calls now. I'm very thankfull to those of you at TPG that escalated the issue.

I must say however that I had to be very persistent with the issue and it did take a lot of time. It was actually costly for me too. I had to purchase a Bluetooth phone and telstra sim so that my wife could continue working her voluntary job. Compensation would be nice!

TPG, If possible can you tell me what was fixed or done exactly? There are a number of colleagues at my wife's work who have the same issue and gave up long ago.

I'm sure many people on this feed would like to know also.
ronb
Level 2

I too am overjoyed as TPG have now fixed the problem - how I do not know. It escallated to an engineer who did something(?) then phoned to tell me to reset the modem with a pin and bingo, all went well. We can now have visitors as the star button actually sends the correct signal to the gate.

And all I had to do was buy a new un-needed phone.

jbeagle
Level 3

Hi @BasilDV and all maybe following this issue.

I've just received two updates to this subject from both @joba3169 and @ronb on 25-09-2020, who refer to there being a possible "fix" to this issue?

On the strength of receiving these updates, I've done some further testing with calls established from both our mobiles (on different networks) to our home phone and found there has been a change?

Digits sent from either mobile on established calls are still received clearly by the home phone.

However, when sending digits back to the mobiles, those digits are still distorted, first by the 'chicken squeak', but following shortly after by a clear digit signal? 
Previously, digits sent from the home phone similarly, where only ever received as just a 'chicken squeak'.

NB: I still feel that something occurred earlier this year in the TPG Voip Network, because for the first 8 months of my NBN service I never had an issue with being able to open our security gate from my home phone!

@jbeagle 

Bruiser2074
Level 2
Hi everyone, I am also struggling with the same scenario with DTMF from my home TPG line. I have logged tickets which have been closed as ‘not our problem’. I am still experiencing difficulties with DTMF, however mine is with outbound calls to some companies. Is anyone still having their issues? I’m on an nbn service with TPG.