TPG Community

Get online support

Landline and 5G not working

Chang1212
Level 2

On 13Apr2024 - 6pm 

I have contacted TPG that my new landline phone has no dial tone, she did a basic troubleshoot and said nothing she can do, and she will get an engineer will contact me within 24 hrs, they work 7 days a week.

On 15Apr2024 - 6pm

So after 48 hours no one has called. So I rang again and spoke to Sia, who resetted my internet in the hope that the phone would work, but it still doesn't, and now the wifi also not working. She said she will get an engineer to contact me within 24 hrs to fix the phone line. But she can help with Wifi. So we spent a good hour trying to restore the wifi. Wifi worked but only the Wifi 2.4G worked, but not 5G. I rang again about 7:30pm but no one answered.

On 16Apr2024 - 6pm

So now I have no 5G, and no landline to use. So I rang again, John picked and said he will transfer me to the relevant department, and then a lady picked up. I had to tell her my details again, and she said my case has been assigned to a case manager, do I want a call back or she can transfer to the case manager, I said transfer please because it is very urgent! Now it is 7:15pm, I have been on hold for over an hour, no one is answering.

Need this escalated.

6 REPLIES 6
david64
Level 15

Hi @Chang1212 . What model wifi router do you have?

Does it have separate lights for 2.4 and 5 wifi bands? Both lights on?

Does your wifi device detect the 5GHz wifi band? Good signal strength?

What happens when you try to connect to it?

Can you login to the router admin and check that the 5GHz band is active. 

Check SSID is not hidden.

When you say "new landline phone", are you a new user to TPG, or, you have been a TPG user for some time and just have a new handset?

What happens if you call your landline phone from mobile?

Chang1212
Level 2

Answers in brackets.

What model wifi router do you have?

(tp-link, Archer VR1600v)

Does it have separate lights for 2.4 and 5 wifi bands? Both lights on?

(Yes, separate lights, both are on).

Does your wifi device detect the 5GHz wifi band? Good signal strength?

(Yes, all my device can detect it, strength is average 3/5, but sometimes cannot detect at all)

What happens when you try to connect to it?

(It just said "Saved", but it will not connect)

Can you login to the router admin and check that the 5GHz band is active. 

(Yes it is enabled and active)

Check SSID is not hidden.

(it is not hidden)

When you say "new landline phone", are you a new user to TPG, or, you have been a TPG user for some time and just have a new handset?

(I have been with TPG for over a decade. This is a new handset)

What happens if you call your landline phone from mobile?

(nothing happens because no dial tone, cannot receive calls, cannot make calls)

david64
Level 15

@Chang1212 . When you sometimes can't detect the 5GHz signal, is this when you are close to Archer?

How do you get it back?
This seems like a faulty router.

On the Archer, is the Phone1 indicator light on?

Aubrey

Hi @Chang1212, let's have your account details via PM and let's check where things at with this case.

Chang1212
Level 2

@david64 

I am literally next to my modem.

The phone 1 light is not on.

@Aubrey 

thank you but I don't think that will fastforward things, i need it fixed in the next 10 minutes and it has been 5 days...

Chang1212
Level 2

Cont. from 16Apr2024 - 7pm+

After more than one hour on hold, someone finally picked up. Beth. She said my case has already been assigned to an engineer, and I asked why isn't he calling me then, she said he doesn't think he needs to come. 

I was furious as this is rather upsetting, my internet and phone has been assessed on Saturday and Monday, and on both occassion you think you need to send someone and you have promised, and yet he does not think it is worth his trip?

I explained my disappointment, she said she'll ring an engineer now, and she connects me to Marvin the engineer team, who kindly listened to my whole story again. Unfrotunately he said he cannot do much, it sounds like an old modem, he can send a new one to me, but it won't get to me until at least another few days. As for the phone line, he can get someone to have a look in the meantime so at least we can use the phone. I said ok. But then he said he cannot find anyone to come on the next day. I insisted on booking someone in, I shouldn't be in the que from today, I was in the line since Saturday. He said ok, and finally booked someone in for 18Apr2024. 

So on 18Apr2024, finally an engineer came in, and he assessed it and he said this phone needs to be registered by the office (THE TPG OFFICE!) and they could have done it over the phone with me. He doesn't think the modem is old. He has sent a request for someone to call me so I can register my phone. He is saying completely different things to what previous people said to me. The whole TPG team just wasting my time. Now I am waiting on a phone call AGAIN, hoping it would fix this once and for all.