Nuisance calls

alanguide
Level 7

I'm getting nuisance calls from one mobile number. I get my VOIP direct from the NBN NTD voice port. How can I block the number I nominate?

6 REPLIES 6
kate_

Hey @alanguide, whether or not you can block numbers on your landline depends on what kind of handset you're using.

Let us know the model of your handset and we'll take a look.

alanguide
Level 7

Thanks Kate. I have two handsets in parallel, and one is an unpowered plain Telstra one, so that one at least probably can't be set up to block messages as it has no memory etc.

david64
Master

@kate_ .

When TP-Link released the Archer VR1600, the VOIP function included a Do Not Disturb and Call Blocking capability. Now that TPG has rid themselves of the onerous overhead of maintaining a good email system, this is one thing they could re-instate to provide better service to users. It involves first modifying the menu part of the router code to give access to the call blocking menu, then, just before the router outputs the ring signal to the phone port, it checks the blocking list. If the received number is in the list, the router doesn't output the ring signal. The newer VX models probably have similar code bases.

@alanguide 

alanguide
Level 7

My VOIP is delivered direct from the NBN NTD voice port, so unfortunately a router solution would not help in my case.

kate_

Gotcha. Currently, the option to block numbers on your NBN VoIP service isn't available. Your best bet would be to grab a handset with a call-blocking feature.

There are some great Panasonic handsets available at places like Officeworks which have call-blocking features included.

alanguide
Level 7

Thanks for respoding Kate. Yes, I've got a Pansasonic but my wife uses an ordinary desk phone and I've paralleled that with it.