VOIP not working

SOLVED Go to solution
jovialnz
Level 3

I have just noticed an issue with my VOIP on my FTTN connection.

The voip light on the modem was flashing green, I had no dial tone and when I tried to call my number there was no ringing tone just a recorded response saying the number was not available due to congestion with error code OCA0142

Power cycling the router fixed the issue but I would like to understand what would cause this to happen.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shane

Hi @jovialnz,

I can see that you have been in touch with one of our Technicians and assisted you with your VoiP concern. Please let me know should you require further assistance.

Regards,

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
orbistat
Level 8

You've half answered your own question, congestion, the VOIP light would've gone solid again on it's own eventually, you sped up the process by rebooting and forcing the modem to handshake and sync again.

jovialnz
Level 3

But how could it be congestion if we have not been using the phone?

It was like the previous call wasn't correctly terminated, is this a regular occurance with voip?

I shouldn't have to be checking the modem after every phone call.

orbistat
Level 8

It was probably network congestion on the particular VOIP server you were connected to at the time, the network is constantly switching between portals so when you rebooted it most likely logged on to a quieter server that still had spare capacity, the one that got congested was maybe saturated with the first business day after a weekend morning traffic.

I'm not sure if VOIP "unlatches" the line if the last call originated from your end, with the old PSTN service if the sender didn't terminate the call the line would stay latched. This meant that you could pick up the handset at a later time and still be connected without dialing. Might need a TPG tech support member to verify this.

jovialnz
Level 3

This happened again this morning with the VOIP connection down requireing a reboot of the router to reinstate the line.  This time the VOIP light on the router was a solid green showinf no issue with the router.

Incidentally this has only been an issue since I changed my plan to the FTTN NBN50 plan with 64: NBN Digital Voice OZ Talk add on.  

Shane

Hi @jovialnz,

Thanks for raising this to us. I'd love to help, to better understand the situation kindly, PM me your account details (Username/Customer ID or Contact number associated with the account).

Cheers!

jovialnz
Level 3

PM Sent

Shane

Thanks for the details @jovialnz. I will arrange one of our Technicians to call you for further assistance. Expect a call within 1-2hrs from now.

Cheers!

jovialnz
Level 3

@Shanewrote:

Thanks for the details @jovialnz. I will arrange one of our Technicians to call you for further assistance. Expect a call within 1-2hrs from now.

Cheers!

Thanks @Shane, still waiting for a tech to call.

Shane

Hi @jovialnz,

I can see that you have been in touch with one of our Technicians and assisted you with your VoiP concern. Please let me know should you require further assistance.

Regards,